U18 REPORT: MK Dons 1-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 years ago

The reverse fixture in October ended 3-0 to MK Dons and the O’s were again edged out last weekend as a second half penalty for the hosts proved to be the difference.

Orient got the game underway and were the first to register an attempt on goal. Shadrach Ogie launched a long throw into the box and it was meant by the head of Sam Dalby who forced a good save from the feet of the Dons ‘keeper.

MK Dons went close after a ball in from the left was poked wide of Arthur Janata’s goal from six yards out after pressure form Eric Lopes.

Sam Dalby won the ball back in the O’s half and slipped in Charles Clayden whose first touch took him away from the defender and allowed him to power a shot at the goalkeeper who could only parry into the path of Ruel Sotiriou, but the striker fired over from close range.

Midway through the first half the sides remained level and battled for the possession to unlock the opposition defence but neither were successful in finishing their chances.

Charles Clayden saw an effort from distance bounce inches wide of the post after he had stolen possession from a MK Dons defender.

Moments later a Dons corner was cleared only to midfielder Jenson Wright whose curled attempt was well held by Janata.

Ogie won the ball back in his own penalty area before he picked a perfect 45-yard pass which released Dalby through on goal with only the ‘keeper to beat but the strikers shot from outside the box rolled just wide of the target in what proved to be the best and last chance of the half.

Within two minutes of the restart MK Dons were awarded a penalty after a Lopes challenge was adjudged to be a foul and the hosts converted the penalty a minute later opening the scores after Janata guessed incorrectly.

The O’s piled the pressure on the hosts as they looked to get back into the game and pull level, but resolute defending from the Dons meant clear cut chances were rare.

Dalby’s free kick from range was spilled by the Dons goal keeper into the path of Sotiriou but gathered again quickly when the ‘keeper pounced on the rebound to secure the ball.

In a last attempt to salvage a point the O’s threw everyone including ‘keeper Janata into the box as Amin Benyoucef swung in a corner. Ogie headed the ball against the post from the set piece before Will Sanders, Mason Hall and Sam Dalby saw efforts blocked as the Dons scrambled the ball from away from immediate danger.

The chances did not end there however as Benyoucef delivered yet another dangerous cross which was missed by the goalkeeper and fell to the feet of Brendon Shabani who saw his effort blocked before Sotiriou’s effort was clawed off the line.

Despite the flurry of efforts Orient were unable to snatch a point as their 2017 campaign came to an end.

ORIENT: Arthur Janata, Andre Camilo-Tayaca, Mason Hall, Shadrach Ogie, Eric Lopes (Will Sanders 57), Brendon Shabani, Ernold Haxhiu, Charles Clayden, Amin Benyoucef, Sam Dalby, Ruel Sotiriou.
SUBS: Samuel Amedu, Luca Carter-Henry, Jaedon Phillips, Hector Kyprianou