REPORT: Leyton Orient 2-0 Dagenham & Redbridge

access_time 4 years ago

Following a goalless opening 45 minutes the O’s made the breakthrough four minutes after the restart through Coulson’s header from a Dayton cross, before the midfielder was once again the provider 10 minutes later as Bonne sealed the points in E10.

On the back on last weekend’s win at Maidstone, Head Coach Justin Edinburgh made just one change to the starting XI, which saw the Dagenham & Redbridge loanee Bondz N’Gala make way for Dan Happe.

There was also a place on the bench for youngster Freddy Moncur who made the match day squad for the first time this season, since returning for a successful loan spell at Bishops Stortford.

Dagenham & Redbridge got the Boxing Day fixture underway and after a cagey start, it was the visitors who went closest first when Morgan Ferrier flicked a corner just wide of the far post.

The O’s started to string passes together and attack well, Jake Caprice whipped in a cross towards the head of David Mooney but Sam Ling got up well to head the danger behind for a corner.

Ferrier battled with Josh Coulson to win the ball from a long clearance, the Daggers forward then cut on to his left foot and curled a shot high over Dean Brill’s goal.

Craig Clay won the ball back on the right of midfield before a squared ball rolled into the path of David Mooney, the O’s striker then took a touch but fired wide of the far post.

The match remained fairly open at the midway point of the, with neither team able to stamp their authority on the game.

A Brill goal-kick was held up by Mooney before he played in Caprice out wide, but the full-backs cross was too close to Mark Cousins and gathered by the ‘keeper.

Alex Lawless’ deflected shot fell to James Dayton on the wide right, the winger cut in and looked to place a shot into the far corner but it flew just wide.

Happe fired a free-kick over from 25-yards after Jobi McAnuff was brought down to draw an end to the first half.

Within five minutes of the restart the O’s took the lead through Josh Coulson whose diving header flew into the corner of the net after a beautiful James Dayton cross.

Not content with one the O’s looked for a second just minutes later, Lawless found the run of Mooney who whipped in a cross towards Bonne but the striker was within inches of connecting with the ball.

Continuous Orient attacks paid off when Bonne doubled the lead from close range after Dayton picked out the striker inside the box, he then slotted home despite Cousins blocking the first attempt.

Dayton produced another dangerous cross from the right this time low but neither Bonne or McAnuff were able to connect to direct it towards goal, before the O’s made their first change of the afternoon as Matt Harrold replaced Mooney in attack.

A rare chance for the visitors saw Dan Sparkes volley into the side netting after Ferrier crossed to the far post with 13 minutes remaining.

With five minutes remaining Dayton then had the chance to seal the victory as he led an O’s counter attack, but the winger could only fire over the bar before being replaced by Jamie Sendles-White for the closing stages.

Daggers defender and former O’s Youth Team captain Ling then looked to pull a goal back for the visitors but his low strike from 25-yards whistled wide of the far post.

Scott Doe came closest to reducing the deficit deep in stoppage time but his deflected header bounced off the top of the crossbar as the O’s secured back-to-back clean sheets in the league and registered a fourth consecutive victory.

Orient are next in action on Saturday when Bromley visit the Matchroom Stadium for our final home game of 2017.

ORIENT: Brill, Caprice, Happe, Coulson, Widdowson, McAnuff (C), Clay, Lawless, Dayton (Sendles-White 85), Mooney (Harrold 66), Bonne
SUBS: Grainger, Koroma, Moncur
GOALS: Coulson (49), Bonne (59)
BOOKED: Lawless (76)

DAGENHAM & REDBRIDGE: Cousins, Doe (C), Robson, Robinson (Lokko 70), Ferrier, Sparkes, Boucaud, Ling, Cheek (Kandi 72), Whitely, Howells
SUBS: Moore, Howell, Bloomfield
BOOKED: Ferrier (81)

REFFEREE: Adrian Quelch
ATTENDANCE: 5,125 (624)