REPORT: Haringey Borough XI 0-2 Leyton Orient XI

access_time 4 years ago

The O’s named a fairly strong squad for the midseason friendly that featured the likes of George Elokobi and David Mooney, while loanees Ebou Adams and Lamar Reynolds started.

The O’s had the first chance of the match as Trialist’s lofted pass was flicked down by Mooney into the path of Sotiriou but his driven effort fell wide of the right post. 

Mooney gave Reynolds the chance to break the deadlock minutes later as he played the winger clean through but his attempted chip landed inches wide of the goal.

The Irishman was involved again on the 7th minute when he released Koroma down the right wing but his drilled cross could only be turned wide by Sotiriou at the near post.

The Haringey goalkeeper was forced into making his first save as Moncur’s low free-kick was flicked into the path of the Trialist, but his effort was straight at the stopper and he made a comfortable save.

The O’s finally took the lead through Josh Koroma on the 17th minute. Sargeant’s goal kick was headed into the path of the winger who shrugged off two defenders before lifting his effort over the keeper.

After a flurry of early chances, the game fell quiet as the O’s were restricted to half-chances as they went into the interval a goal to the good.

 The O’s made one change at half-time as Toby Stevenson came on for the Trialist, meaning that Michael Clark shifted to right-back, Joe Widdowson to centre-back as Stevenson slotted into left-back.

Ruel Sotiriou made an immediate impact in the second half as the forward latched onto a deflected Mooney cross but he couldn’t keep his balance as he sliced the effort high and wide.

The home side had their first real chance of the match on the 52nd minute as a forward found himself with space in the box but Sargeant was quick to smother at the near post and deflected the ball behind for a corner.

Lamar Reynolds almost doubled the advantage in the 58th minute when he was released down the left, cut inside of the defender and curled his effort towards the far corner but watched it fly centimetres wide.

Janata replaced Sam Sargeant on the hour mark and was called into action on the 67th minute as a Haringey midfielder was played in on the edge of the box but the effort was straight at him.

The O’s doubled their lead on the 72nd minute as Josh Koroma received the ball on the left side of the pitch, weaved through three players within the Haringey box before squaring for David Mooney to tap home.

Lamar Reynolds was inches away from making it three as he picked up the ball on the edge of the box and struck a venomous effort that smashed the crossbar.

The O’s couldn’t get the third goal to wrap up the win but ended with a satisfying victory from a valuable run-out.

ORIENT: Sargeant (Janata 61’), Trialist (Stevenson 45’), Widdowson, Adams, Elokobi (Hall 73’), Clark (Tayaca 67’), Koroma, Moncur, Sotiriou, Mooney (Clayden 75’), Reynolds
GOAL: Koroma (17’), Mooney (74’)