Kickoff: 18/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Bristol Rovers
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient

U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 3-0 Newport County

access_time 3 years ago

Jaedon Phillips’ brace before Charles Clayden’s second half strike saw the O’s record comfortable back to back victories.

Orient got the game underway but came under attack immediately when a Newport forward found a gap in the O’s back line but failed to test ‘keeper Amedu with the effort.

With 10 minutes played, Newport thought they had taken the lead when a hanging cross to the back post was then squared to The Exiles forward who poked the ball passed Amedu before the official flagged for offside.

Then, Superb work on the right wing from Amin Benyoucef to shake off his marker ended with a drilled cross to Jaedon Phillips whose first-time effort was blocked by the legs of the Newport ‘keeper.

Orient continued their attacking threat through Charles Clayden on the left wing, but Newport cleared the floated crosses that came their way.

Late on in the first-half, a mix up in the Orient defence saw Newport break through on goal before the wide-man square the ball for the forward in the centre of the box who took a touch and fired at goal, but Amedu dived low to his left to gather.

With three minutes of the half remaining, Clayden picked up the ball in midfield and skipped passed a crowd of Newport defenders to drag the ball back to Phillips who swept the ball home.

The O’s had the wind in their sails as half time approached, Benyoucef wonderfully glided passed a Newport defender and then crossed the ball for Trialist A who was fouled inside the box as the O’s were awarded a penalty.

Benyoucef stepped up to take the spot kick but the Newport ‘keeper guessed correctly and pushed the penalty away from danger.

Despite the miss from the spot, Orient attacked again this time Shadrach Ogie’s long ball forward was excellently controlled by Phillips before the forward unleashed a low strike that was only just tipped around the post.

The O’s began the second half in similar fashion to the first, and the constant flow of attacks paid off when Phillips got up highest to nod in Clayden’s cross from the wide left to double the lead to 2-0.

Clayden enjoyed a lot of success on the left and found himself in behind the Newport defence on a number of occasions, but wasn’t able to find a red shirt between the sticks.

The winger’s patience paid off, when he took a short corner-kick and received the ball back just yards from the touch line and wonderfully curled the ball in to the top corner of the net, to stretch the lead to 3-0.

Despite being three goals down, Newport were a threat on the counter attack and a cross from the left dropped at the feet of a midfielder whose shot was well blocked by the legs of Ogie.

But Orient continued to dominate as Ernold Haxhiu had the chance to make it four, when the midfielder received the ball off Phillips inside the box but smashed his effort high and wide of the target.

Moments later, Benyoucef dragged a shot wide of the post after Clayden’s good work to produce a cross from the left, in to the centre of the box.

The final chance of the game fell to Trialist B, who was only just beaten to the ball by the Newport ‘keeper who rushed out to meet with a midfield through ball as the O’s sealed the victory.

ORIENT: Samuel Amedu, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Will Sanders, Shadrach Ogie (Wynford Marfo 80), Eric Lopes, Ernold Haxhiu, Hector Kyprianou, Amin Benyoucef, Brendon Shabani (Bradley McClenaghan 80), Jaedon Phillips, Charles Clayden, Trialist A (Trialist B 45)

SUBS: Lawrence Hammond, Finlay Lovatt

GOALS: Phillips (2), Clayden