REPORT: Hartlepool United v Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

Louis Laing’s first-half header was enough for the hosts to wrap up all three points as the O’s couldnt find the back of the net in the dying moments.

Head Coach Justin Edinburgh made no changes to the XI that earned a point at league leaders Macclesfield on Saturday afternoon. The only change was on the bench where Lamar Reynolds took the place of Alex Lawless.

The previous meeting between Orient and Hartlepool ended in disappointing defeat when Jobi McAnuff’s first-half strike was cancelled out by Pools goals either side of the whistle.

Hartlepool got the game underway at Victoria Park and it was Orient who had the better of possession in the early stages as the hosts struggled to clear their own half.

James Brophy’s second corner of the game saw a George Elokobi effort come back off an unbeknown Josh Koroma before the Hartlepool ‘keeper Scott Loach smothered the danger.

After ten minutes Orient broke up-field with Macauley Bonne leading the line, the forward then played in Brophy who chopped on to his right foot and fired at goal, but the attempt was easily caught by Loach.

Hartlepool’s first attack resulted in a corner being cleared off the line by Brophy when Jake Cassidy rose highest to head towards Dean Brill’s net.

The O’s were back on the attack when Bonne’s expert flick set Koroma through on goal, but the young striker could only put his effort wide of the far post in what was the best chance of the half so far.

On the hour mark, after a lengthy spell of possession for the O’s Bonne fired at goal from a long distance, the effort looked to be heading for the top corner but Loach dived well to his left to deny the forward.

Moments later, Hartlepool forward Cassidy breached the O’s defence and found himself one-on-one with Brill who closed down the space and blocked the shot excellently to deny the hosts an opener.

Against the run of play, the hosts took the lead through a Louis Liang whose looping header from a free-kick opened the scores at Victoria Park.

The O’s tried to respond immediately and almost did when Bonne’s glanced header from McAnuff’s free-kick dropped inches wide of the far post.

Just as two additional minutes were signalled, Edinburgh was forced in to an early change as George Elokobi pulled up when he chased a loose ball, Dan Happe was sent on as his replacement as the O’s finished the first half a goal down.

Both sides made a change at the break, the O’s saw Lamar Reynolds replace James Brophy while Rhys Oats took the place of the booked Michael Woods.

Orient started the second half very quickly, following a McAnuff corner a huge scramble in the box fell to Dan Happe who struck the underside of the bar with a thunderous effort from the wide left.

The O’s had to be very patient in possession as Hartlepool looked to defend their lead. Newly introduced Lamar Reynolds was causing problems for the hosts. The lively winger danced his way in to the box but could only fire in to the side netting.

Edinburgh’s final change came on 68 minutes when David Mooney came on in place of Craig Clay which saw Koroma move back to his more familiar position of right wing.

There was another lengthy stoppage in play as Head Coach Justin Edinburgh was shown to the stands by referee Andrew Miller when just under 15 minutes of play remained.

It was all Orient when Sam Ling’s powerful goal-bound volley was cleared up in to the air before Marvin Ekpiteta headed at goal only for Josh Hawkes to hook the defender’s effort off the line.

As four additional minutes were announced substitute Devante Rodney was sent off for very late tackle on O’s defender Dan Happe. The hosts then held on to their lead and condemned Orient to defeat.


HARTLEPOOL: Loach, Hawkins, Laing, Magnay, Adams, Featherstone, Newton (Harrison 90+2), Hawkes (Rodney 69), Woods (Oates 45), Donaldson, Cassidy.

SUBS: Catterick, Munns.

GOALS: Laing (39)

BOOKINGS: Woods (22), Cassidy (70), Rodney (79), Newton (89)

RED: Rodney (90+2)


ORIENT: Brill, Widdowson, Elokobi (Happe 45+1), McAnuff (C), Bonne, Koroma, Ekpiteta, Clay (Mooney 68), Brophy (Reynolds 45), Adams, Ling

SUBS: Grainger, Judd.


BOOKINGS: Clay (52)


REFEREE: Andrew Miller

ATTENDANCE: 2,556 (84)