Kickoff: 18/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Bristol Rovers
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient

U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 3-1 Plymouth Argyle

access_time 3 years ago

Hector Kyprianou’s first-half brace followed by Amin Benyoucef’s wonderful second-half strike wrapped up the points and league title for Pete Gill’s U18’s team.

Plymouth got the tie underway at The Matchroom stadium but it was Gill’s side who made the first attempt on goal after good work from Andrew Camilo-Tayaca found the head of Eric Lopes but the visiting ‘keeper gathered calmly.

The continued pressure saw Hector Kyprianou sweep home Charles Clayden’s cross at the second time of asking to notch his and the first goal of the game.

As we approached a quarter of an hour, Kyprianou again, connected with a Clayden corner, but this time the Plymouth defence were able to scramble the ball clear of danger.

Orient certainly started the stronger team and it was one way traffic when Benyoucef’s cross caused an almighty scramble which saw efforts from Jaedon Phillips and Shadrach Ogie blocked, before Kyprianou was on hand to smash the ball home from close range.

Plymouth had a rare sight at goal when Luca Carter-Henry’s foul meant Samuel Amedu had to be alert in the Orient goal to beat away the powerful free-kick from range.

However, the O’s were still in search of a goal and thought they found a third when Ernold Haxhiu’s thunder strike from range cannoned back off the crossbar and out of play after Phillips was flagged offside as the opening half came to an end.

Both teams returned unchanged for the second half, after a slow start Benyoucef sparked some life back in to the game when his corner was cleared back to him out wide, the midfielder then twisted and turned to lose his marker, before wonderfully placing the ball in to back of the net as we approached an hour of play.

Plymouth were handed a way back in to the game when Matt Bartlett went down under a challenge inside the box. The referee awarded a penalty which Harry Downing confidently smashed in to the bottom corner of the net.

Full back Alfie Fleming wanted a taste of the action when he collected a cross-field ball and struck the ball powerfully at goal but Michael Cooper in the Plymouth net was equal to the shot.

Soon after, an excellent through ball from Benyoucef found Phillips inside the box whose first-time effort was well saved by ‘keeper Michael Cooper.

With less than ten minutes remaining, Hexhiu won the ball back in midfield and advanced on goal before he let of a powerful right-footed shot which Cooper had to beat away from danger.

Phillips had the chance to add a fourth for the O’s when his touch took him clear of the Plymouth defence and clear on goal, but the attempt was high and wide of the target.

Orient were comfortable with the ball in the latter stages of the game and after a Lopes’ effort cannoned back off the woodwork, the referee blew the full-time whistle, menaing Orient were crowned champions.

ORIENT: Samuel Amedu, Andrew Camilo-Tayaca, Shadrach Ogie, Alfie Fleming, Eric Lopes, Ernold Haxhiu, Hector Kyprianou, Charles Clayden, Amin Benyoucef, Jaedon Phillips

SUBS: Will Sanders, Brendon Shabani, Bradyley McClenaghan

GOALS: Kyprianou (12 & 20) Benyoucef (54)