REPORT: East Thurrock United 0-4 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

Macauley Bonne’s first-half header, followed by goals from David Mooney, Josh Koroma and a Lewis Knight own goal after the break saw the O’s win comfortably in Essex on Tuesday night.

Orient continued their pre-season preparations at East Thurrock on Tuesday night, the squad, fresh from Portugal featured youngsters such as Hector Kyprianou, Charles Clayden and Ernold Haxhiu.

Sporting the brand-new home kit, Orient got the game underway and attacked from the first whistle Charles Clayden and Joe Widdowson linked up well on the left wing before Macauley Bonne saw the first shot of the game fly wide of the target.

Craig Clay’s 20-yard through ball unlocked the East Thurrock defence in the tenth minute when he perfectly picked out David Mooney inside the box, the number 10 then looked to square the ball to his partner Bonne but miscommunication led to East Thurrock clearing the danger.

Ten minutes later, George Elokobi found Clayden on the wing, the youngster collected the ball and headed for the box before he crossed to the back post where Bonne’s touch wasn’t enough to divert the ball in to the back of the net.

Orient had the greater momentum at this point, James Dayton slid through Bonne whose one-on-one effort was palmed wide by Jack Giddens in the East Thurrock net.

Mooney should have put his side ahead when he intercepted Sam Higgins’ back pass with only the ‘keeper to beat but the forward put the ball inches wide of the target.

Three minutes after the half-hour mark, Bonne gave the O’s the lead after he headed Charlie Lee’s inch perfect lofted ball home.

The hosts thought they pulled a goal back when Paul Konchesky’s excellent chip was met by the diving head of Sam Higgins’ before the ball flew in to the bottom corner of the net, but the official on the nearside had flagged for offside and the goal was chalked off.

The second-half began with no changes for either side. The hosts East Thurrock were first to have an effort on goal, Higgins started the move and finished it with a first-time shot on target from distance but Dean Brill was equal to the effort.

Higgins was causing the O’s defence problems again when his curled left footed cross was flicked goal-wards by Tom Derry but the attempt dropped wide of the post.

But it was the O’s who made their chance count, Bonne’s flick-on in to the path of Mooney allowed the number 10 to chip the onrushing Jack Giddens in the East Thurrock net to double the Os’ lead.

A host of Orient changes were made in the 60th minute, as the whole team apart from ‘keeper Brill made way for a fresh 10 to take to the field, including Alex Lawless and James Alabi.

With the changes came a goal, Shadrach Ogie found Josh Koroma just outside the box before the forward advanced on goal and tucked the ball beyond Giddens to stretch the O’s lead to three.

Koroma almost doubled his tally after excellent play from Alex Lawless found the forward in the box before his shot flew wide of the target.

Orient’s number 19 came close to finding the net again minutes later when he collected the ball on the edge of the box and shuffled on to his left foot before taking aim only to be denied by the crossbar.

Two minutes before the whistle, Jobi McAnuff’s cross was turned in to the back of the net by East Thurrock defender Lewis Knight to put the O’s four goals up as the referee called time on the friendly.


EAST THURROCK: Giddens, Burn, Stephen, Konchesky, Scott, Knight, Simmons, Harris, Higgins, Marlow, Derry

SUBS: Dadamo, Kellum, Levett


ORIENT STARTING XI: Brill, Judd (Lawless 60), Coulson (Ekpiteta 60), Elokobi (Happe 60), Widdownson (Ogie 60), Dayton (McAnuff 60), Clay (Kyprianou 60), Lee (Haxhiu 60), Clayden (Brophy 60), Bonne (Koroma 60), Mooney (Alabi 60)


ORIENT LAST 30: Brill, Lawless, Ekpiteta, Happe, Ogie, McAnuff, Kyprianou, Haxhiu, Brophy, Koroma, Alabi