REPORT: Salford City 1-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

A Liam Hogan Own Goal three minutes from time ensured an opening day point for the O’s in Salford.

Jobi McAnuff led the O’s out at The Peninsula Stadium and Salford got us underway as the O’s modelled their brand new Yellow away kit for the first time.

The hosts had the first effort on goal when Ibou Touray tested Dean Brill from distance but the O’s number one parried the effort wide of his net.

Salford attacked again when an early throw set Rory Gaffney through, he squared for Adam Rooney but Sam Ling’s last minute block deflected the ball away from danger after nine minutes of play.

Orient’s first attempt on goal came after a quarter of an hour when Craig Clay found Josh Koroma on the wide right, after beating his man the O’s forward could only fire in to the hands of Chris Neal.

Brill was forced in to an excellent save after Piergianni’s attempt looked to be looping in to the net.

Moments later, Orient hit the post through Alex Lawless who received Sam Ling’s cut back on the edge of the box but couldn’t beat the woodwork with his powerful effort.

Orient went close again on the half hour mark, Bonne was played through by Clay and the forward curled an effort goal-wards but was immediately flagged offside.

As a minute additional time was announced, James Alabi saw his powerful effort parried away from danger after he worked very hard on the right to find space. It was a strong end to the first half as the sides went in goalless.

Within a minute of the second-half starting, Rory Gaffney tapped home form Danny Lloyds cross to give the hosts the lead.

James Brophy replaced Alex Lawless after an hours play and as the change happened, Brill was forced in to another excellent save when Gaffney twisted and turned his way through the O’s defence before he powered an effort at goal.

Bonne was next to come close to finding the net for the O’s McAnuff squared the ball for the forward, but his first-time effort was hit over the bar as Orient continued to press for an equaliser.

With 15 left on the clock, Bonne latched on the end of Alabi’s flick on and attempted to round the keeper but solid Salford defending saw the danger cleared.

Newly introduced Charlie Lee was agonisingly denied by the post before his follow-up effort is somehow cleared off the line.

Moments later Craig Clay scrambled the ball over the line from McAnuff’s corner to draw the O’s level in the 87th minute.

James Dayton went close to snatching all three points in the last minute when he connected with Brophy’s cross but couldn’t keep it down as the game ended 1-1.


Up next for the O’s is the first home fixture of the season when we welcome Ebbsfleet United to The Breyer Group Stadium on Tuesday night.

SALFORD: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Maynard, Hogan (C), Piergianni, Lloyd (Haughton 70), Whitehead, Rooney, Gaffney, Walker (Mafuta 85)

SUBS: Crocombe, Shelton, Pond


GOALS: Gaffney (47)

ORIENT: Brill, Ling (Lee 80), Coulson, Elokobi, Widdowson, Koroma (Dayton 80), Clay, Lawless (Brophy 60), McAnuff (C), Alabi, Bonne

SUBS: Ekpiteta, Sargeant


GOALS: Hogan OG (87)

REFEREEE: Daniel Middleton

ATTENDANCE: 2,156 (667 Orient fans)

Upcoming Fixture:
4th August 2018
National League
National League
Salford City
Salford City
1 - 1
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient