REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-1 Ebbsfleet United

access_time 3 years ago

James Brophy’s first-half opener was cancelled out by Corey Whitely’s late leveller.

Justin Edinburgh named a team with one change to the side that drew on the opening day against Salford City. James Brophy came in to replace Josh Koroma in the starting XI.

Ebbsfleet got the game underway and immediately had a chance on goal when Darren McQueen found himself through on goal but skied his effort.

After sustained pressure from Ebbsfleet, Orient finally broke the deadlock when Macauley Bonne was free on the right and cut the ball back to James Brophy who calmly slotted home from 12-yards.

Moments later, O’s ‘keeper Dean Brill was forced to dive low to his right to deny Myles Weston who chopped his man and unleashed a left footed shot on goal.

Ebbsfleet hit the O’s on the counter minutes before the half-hour mark with Danny Kedwell, he carried the ball in to the box but curled an effort just passed Brill’s far post.

The visitors were on the attack again when Sean Shields’ effort had to be tipped over the bar by Brill as it looked to loop under the crossbar and in.

Within a minute, a similar effort down the Orient end meant Nathan Ashmore in the Barnet net had to tip Bonne’s looping header over the bar.

Two minutes before half-time Sam Magri finds himself clear on the left but an excellent challenge from Marvin Ekpiteta was enough to deflect the ball away from danger.

After the break, Kedwell registered the first attempt on goal with an ambitious shot from 25-yards which didn’t trouble Brill in the Orient net.

Ten minutes later, James Alabi’s over-head kick bounced just wide of target after the O’s forward held the ball up brilliantly inside the box.

Orient continued to apply pressure on the visitors and shortly after an hour saw chances from captain Jobi McAnuff and James Alabi go close to hitting the target.

A lightning quick counter attack from Ebbsfleet ended when newly introduced Luke Coulson stung the hands of Brill.

The visitors thought they had drawn level when Kedwell bundled the ball in to the net from close range but fortunately for the O’s play was pulled back for offside against Ebbsfleet.

Ten minutes remained when McAnuff’s shot was blocked in the box before the ball fell to Josh Koroma at the back post where the forward was brilliantly denied by the feet of Ashmore in the opposition net.

In a nail biting final five minutes of the game, the visitors when close through Michael Cheek who couldn’t keep the ball down from Corey Whitely’s cut back.

The O’s then counter with Alabi leading the chase through on goal but Ashmore was off his line quickly to deny the forward a goal.

But constant pressure from Ebbsfleet as five additional minutes were announced meant Corey Whitely’s long range deflected effort creeped in to the net for the late equaliser.

Orient were not finished however, Bonne’s close range header from Ekpiteta’s cross was agonisingly caught by Ashmore as the game ended a draw.


Up next, the O’s welcome Barrow AFC to The Breyer Group Stadium on Saturday, August 11 for what will be the third National League fixture in a week for Orient.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Widdowson, Lawless (Lee 75), Elokobi (Ekpiteta 3), Coulson, McAnuff (C), Clay, Bonne, Brophy (Koroma 66), Alabi

SUBS: Sargeant, Dayton

GOALS: Brophy (18)

BOOKED: Lawless, Bonne (84), McAnuff (90+1),

EBBSFLEET: Ashmore, King, Magri, Powell, Adams (Whitely 77), Kedwell (C), Drury, Weston (Coulson 58), McQueen (Cheek 65), Shields, Bush

SUBS:, Myles, Payne

GOALS: Whitely (90)

BOOKED: King (13), Weston (36)

REFEREE: Adrian Quelch

ATTENDANCE: 4,710 (394 Ebbsfleet United fans)

Upcoming Fixture:
7th August 2018
National League
National League
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
1 - 1
Ebbsfleet United
Ebbsfleet United