REPORT: Maidstone 1-2 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

Goals from Josh Koroma and Marvin Ekpiteta secured the points for the O’s as Shamir Mullings’ late goal wasnt enough for the hosts to mount a come-back.

Justin Edinburgh made a number of changes to his squad, Myles Judd appears for the first time this season while James Dayton and Josh Koroma come in for Jobi McAnuff and James Alabi.

Maidstone got the game underway at The Gallagher Stadium and had the first attempt on goal when Blair Turgott found space in midfield but the former Orient man’s shot didn’t harm Brill who collected calmly.

The hosts were on the attack again when Lamar Loza’s powerful shot from inside the danger area was charged down and blocked by Marvin Ekpiteta after a lively opening four minutes.

Orient took the lead after ten minutes; Dean Brill’s long goal kick was flicked over the head of Will De Havilland by Josh Koroma who then finishes passed Lee Worgan in the Maidstone net.

Eight minutes after the opener, Brill was called in to action to tip the ball over from Stuart Lewis’ stinging shot from range.

After 30 minutes of play Orient were enjoying large spells of possession and had much of their joy down the right win through James Dayton whose whipped crosses caused trouble for the Maidstone defence.

The O’s doubled lead their moments later through Dayton’s corner, which found the head of Marvin Ekpiteta and the central defender expertly headed passed Worgan.

Joe Widdowson was in the right place at the right time to block a dangerous shot for Michael Philips at the back post just as the referee called for half time.

Both sides returned for the second-half unchanged and the O’s were kicking towards the traveling supporters behind the goal.

Craig Clay’s fizzed shot from distance whistled inches over the bar after the midfielder collected Dayton’s pass 25-yards from goal.

The visitors came close to pulling a goal back but Ekpiteta’s vital touch from a wide Maidstone free-kick put the ball behind from a corner before Brill came to collect the cross moments later.

The O’s looked sure to be awarded a penalty after 77 minutes when Koroma fell under the challenge of Paxman inside the box but instead, the referee awarded the hosts a free-kick and book the O’s forward.

The hosts then pulled a goal back through newly introduced Shamir Mullings who headed home from Nana-Twumasi’s cross after 80 minutes.

Koroma could have made it three when he cut on to his right and struck the post from distance after the ball took a slight deflection.

The fourth official signaled four five additional minutes as Brill was forced in to a wonderful save from Turgott’s powerful shot inside the box.

The O’s stood firm at the back to hold off pressure from Maidstone as referee David Rock called for full-time.

MAIDSTONE: Worgan, Efete, De Haviland, Wynter, Lewis (C), Quigley, Loza (Coker 60), Twumasi, Muldoon (Mullings 68), Philips (Paxman 55), Turgott

SUBS: McLennan, Funnell

BOOKED: Loza (38)

GOALS: Mullings (80)

ORIENT: Brill, Judd (Ling 62), Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, Brophy (Lawless 72), Lee (C), Clay, Dayton (Alabi 62), Koroma, Bonne

SUBS: Sargeant, Happe

BOOKED: Bonne (38), Koroma (77)

GOALS: Koroma (10), Ekpiteta (35)

REFEREE: David Rock

ATTENDANCE: 3,037 (630 O’s fans)

Upcoming Fixture:
14th August 2018
Maidstone United
Maidstone United
1 - 2
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient