REPORT: Gateshead 1-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

Justin Edinburgh namedan unchanged starting XI and a last minute goal from defender Marvin Ekpiteta secured a point at the Gateshead International Stadium.

Gateshead get the game underway and it was the hosts who registered the first attempt on goal when Robbie Tinkler forced Dean Brill to tip the ball away from danger when the skipper headed on target.

After the first-attempt on goal, it was Orient who enjoyed the majority of possession with Marvin Ekpiteta coming close on two occasions befoe Lewis Maloney’s strike rolled wide of Brill’s net.

The O’s had a great chance after 20 minutes of play when Jobi McAnuff’s low cross was excellently dummied by Macauley Bonne to find the late run of Craig Clay but the midfielder couldn’t keep his shot down.

Bonne was involved again, when Marvin Ekpiteta flicked on Charlie Lee’s long throw but Bonne’s shot from inside the box was deflected in to Pears’ arms.

Another chance for the O’s came when Clay’s twisted run created space for the midfielder to shoot and could have taken the lead but for Jon Mellish who cleared the ball off the line.

Both sides returned for the second-half unchanged and Orient continued to retain the majority of possession when Ekpiteta fired wide minutes after the restart from McAnuff’s cross.

Gateshead then found some confidence in attack and forced Brill in to another wonderful save from Steve Rigg’s head before the same player’s second attempt is headed clear by Ekpiteta.

After an hour, Dale Gorman was introduced to the O’s supporters for the first time when he replaced Lee in central midfield.

Bonne found the ball inside the box and had time to turn before the shot the followed was deflected inches wide of the top corner of the net.

It was Gateshead who took the lead when Luke Armstrong breached the Orient defence and slotted passed brill after 77 minutes of play.

Second-half substitute James Alabi was shown a red card in the 81st minute after a challenge on skipper Robbie Tinkler.

After continued pressure from the O’s Ekpiteta, found himself in the box yet again and smashed the ball in to the back of the net from McAnuff’s corner with just two minutes remaining.

The additional minutes that remained were played out with Gateshead pushing for a winner, but Orient stood firm to take home a point.

GATESHEAD: Pearson, Tinkler (C), Kerr, Mellish, Thomson (Salkeld 55), Hunter, Maloney (White 55), O’Donnell, Armstrong, Olley, Rigg

SUBS: Foden, Devitt, Boden

BOOKED: Mellish (28), Tinkler (58)

GOALS: Armstrong (77)

ORIENT: Brill, Judd (Harrold 85), Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, Dayton (Alabi 66), Lee (Gorman 62), Clay, McAnuff (C), Koroma, Bonne

SUBS: Sargeant, Happe


RED: Alabi (81)

GOALS: Ekpiteta (89)

REFEREE: Glen Hart

ATTENDANCE: 1,052 (209)

Upcoming Fixture:
25th August 2018
Gateshead FC
Gateshead FC
1 - 1
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient