REPORT: Chesterfield 0-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

A James Dayton strike in the second-half secured the three points on the road for the O’s.

Edinburgh named an unchanged XI for the fourth consecutive game, with yesterday’s signing Levi Lumeka named among the substitutes bench.

After a delayed kick-off, Chesterfield got the game underway and saw Joe Rowley’s headed effort test Dean Brill in the O’s net first.

The hosts looked to have Zavon Hines through on goal after the attacker collected a through ball inside the box, but Joe Widdowson’s last ditch tackle diverted the ball away from danger.

Chesterfield were in control of possession in the early stages and forced busy Brill in to an excellent save to deny the head of Hines, who was found free in the penalty area.

Orient’s first attack almost ended in a goal, Josh Coulson’s header from skipper Jobi McAnuff’s free-kick was tipped just over the bar by Callum Burton in the Chesterfield net.

The resulting corner was an odd one, which saw James Dayton’s cross avoid contact and clip the post before being cleared of danger.

The O’s had the next chance to take the lead when Clay’s forward pass found Dayton with his back to goal, the midfielder then turned but fired over the target.

Binnom-Williams caused the O’s danger on the left and firstly prodded the ball wide of the net before his low driven cross missed the touch of Ugwu by an inch to bring the first 45 to an end.

Both teams returned unchanged for the second half, which Orient got underway with Craig Clay.

Chesterfield’s Binnom-Williams drilled a 25-yard free-kick against the face of the post after 59 minutes, a chance which was the first of the second-half.

The hosts continued to apply pressure to Orient when Robbie Weir’s towering header flew inches over the crossbar.

Orient’s first chance of the second-half came from McAnuff who advanced in to the Chesterfield box from Bonne’s pass but sees his shot blocked by the legs of William Evans.

Orient continued to press when Dayton’s cross found the head of an un-marked Bonne but the forwards header bounced just wide of the target from close range.

Just as the game began to lose a yard of pace, Widdowson’s cross was cleared up in to the air, only as far as Dayton who wonderfully smashes the ball in to the top corner to give the O’s the lead after 78 minutes.

O’s showed no sign of holding back however, Bonne found himself in space 20-yards from goal and attempted to lift the ball over Burton but hit the shot too long and over the target.

Orient held on to their one goal lead and stretched the unbeaten run to eight when Simeon Lucas blew for full-time.


The O’s are back at The Breyer Group Stadium this Tuesday 4th September (7.45pm) when Solihull Moors are our visitors. Regular tickets in advance range from £1 for Under 11s in the Baskin Robbins Family Stand to £18 for adults in the East and West Stands. These can be purchased now at, in-person at the O’s ticket office (open 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday) or by phone on 0871 310 1883.

CHESTERFIELD: Burton, Hines, Maguire (Muggleton 87), Weir (C), Nelson, Rowley (Reid 75), Talbot, Evans, Weston, Ugwu (Antoine-Fortune 54), Binnom-Williams

SUBS: Hollis, Barry


BOOKED: Evans (35)

ORIENT: Brill, Judd, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, McAnuff, Lee, Clay, Dayton, Bonne, Koroma (Harrold 60)

SUBS: Sargeant, Happe, Gorman, Lumeka

GOALS: Dayton (78)


REFEREE: Simeon Lucas

ATTENDANCE: 4,735 (541 Orient)

Upcoming Fixture:
1st September 2018
Chesterfield FC
Chesterfield FC
0 - 1
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient