REPORT: Braintree Town 1-5 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

A Macualey Bonne hat-trick, and a goal either side of the break for Marvin Ekpiteta and Josh Koroma kept Orient at the top of the National League table, without a defeat in thirteen games.

Lyle Della-Verde of Braintree town got the game underway at packed Cressing Road with three-quarters of the stadium filled with O’s fans.

Cameron James recorded the first shot on goal of the game when he picked up the ball 20-yards from goal, found an inch of space but struck wide of Brill’s net.

James Dayton was next to try his luck, the winger cut on to his right foot from the left but fired in to the hands of Killip in the Braintree net.

Orient began to apply pressure on the hosts early, and won a penalty when Josh Koroma was tripped by Joe Ellul inside the box.

Leading marksman Macauley bonne stepped up to take and powered low passed Killip in the Braintree net.

In an attempt to reply, Della-Verde spun and fired low at goal from distance but Brill was there to touch the ball out of danger.

Braintree found a way back in to the game after 23 minutes when former O Michael Clark brought the ball forward before a scramble in the box led the ball to fall to Della-Verde who slotted home from close range.

The game fell flat for a moment as the two teams looked to get a hold of the game and the break-through came for the O’s when Marvin Ekpiteta smashed the ball in to the top corner following Lee’s long throw which caused Braintree problems inside the six-yard box five minutes from time.

Both teams returned from the break unchanged and Orient started the brighter of the two, McAnuff’s ball to Bonne was inches away from connecting with the forward but Killip was quickest to react.

Minutes later, Lee sensed an opportunity to volley towards goal from distance but could only direct the ball high over the target.

The Orient pressure paid off after 57 minutes of play when Lee’s high through ball forward found Koroma who lobbed Killip from 25-yards out to put the O’s 3-1 ahead.

Bonne made it four moments later when Lee’s long throw caused trouble inside the six-yard box, the ball dropped to the forward at the back post who tapped passed Killip.

Six minutes later, Bonne all but wrapped up the game with his third and Orient’s fifth when he ran clear through on goal and calmly slotted the ball underneath the Braintree ‘keeper.

Comfortable in possession Orient continued to pass the ball around he pitch in beautiful fashion, while Braintree continued to look tired.

After an additional five minutes of play, referee David Rock called time on the fixture and Orient remain undefeated while history was made in the process.

After two successive away wins, the O’s are back at The Breyer Group Stadium this Saturday, September 29 (3pm) when Sutton United are our visitors. Regular tickets in advance range from £1 for Under 11s in the Baskin Robbins Family Stand to £18 for adults in the East and West Stands. These can be purchased now at, in-person at the O’s ticket office (open 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday) or by phone on 020 8926 1010

BRAINTREE: Killip, Muleba, Crook (Sogaf 60), Bettamer, Della-Verde, Ellul (Amaluzar 81), Rowe (Charles 82), Gabriel, James, Nieskins

SUBS: Pattison, Grant

BOOKED: Muleba (51), Della-Verde (84)


GOALS: Della-Verde (23)

ORIENT: Brill, Judd, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, Dayton (Alabi 76), Clay (Gorman 65), Lee (Brophy 70), McAnuff, Bonne, Koroma

SUBS: Sargeant, Happe

BOOKED: Bonne (34)


GOALS: Bonne (9), Ekpiteta (40), Koroma (57), Bonne (63), Bonne (69)

REFEREE: David Rock

ATTENDANCE: 2,574 (1,334 Orient fans)

Upcoming Fixture:
25th September 2018
Braintree Town
Braintree Town
1 - 5
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient