REPORT: Maidenhead United 0-2 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

First half goals from Macauley Bonne and James Alabi were enough to see the O’s home with the three points.

Edinburgh was made one forced change as a knee injury kept Josh Koroma side-lined. Summer signing James Alabi started in place of the young forward.

Maidenhead get the game underway but it was Orient who started the quickest of the two sides.

James Alabi ran through on goal following Jobi McAnuff’s pass but was forced off the ball inside the box, the ball then fell to Craig Clay who attempted to give it back to Alabi who was in an offside position.

Maidenhead won the first corner of the game after five minutes and a dangerous cross was headed goal-wards by Remy Clerima but the ball bounced just wide of the target.

Macauley Bonne headed the O’s ahead after 11 minutes when Maidenhead failed to clear a corner and McAnuff crossed for the Orient front man to neatly tuck the ball away.

Two minutes after the opener James Comley found space yards outside the O’s box but fired high and wide of Dean Brill’s net.

It was an exciting opening fifteen minutes and Orient could’ve been two up when Bonne and Alabi linked up on the edge of the box but the latter’s shot rolled inches wide of the post.

Despite the O’s dominance, the back line had to remain alert and Marvin Ekpiteta was present to make a goal-saving challenge before he got back to clear James Akintunde’s headed effort off the line.

On the half hour mark Alabi picked up McAnuff’s loose ball inside the box, took a touch and very cooly slotted home with his left foot to double Orient’s lead.

Bonne went close to his second before the break, he and Dayton linked-up on the left before the forward struck over the Maidenhead net.

Maidenhead started the second half the brightest of the two sides and saw Akintunde poke wide from six-yards under pressure from Joe Widdowson. Before Chinua Cole watched his deflected effort bounce in to Brill’s hands.

Orient came in to the game again after 55 minutes, the ball was well worked across the pitch to McAnuff who cut on to his left foot but hit his shot straight at Pentney who collected.

On 70 minutes Edinburgh made his first change when James Brophy came on to replace James Dayton as Maidenhead looked for a way back in to the game.

Josh Coulson, Myles Judd and Widdowson were alert from corner kicks to rise highest and head the danger clear as Maidenhead won three corners in as many minutes and applied pressure to the O’s.

Orient’s final change came in the form of Matt Harrold in the place of goal-scorer James Alabi just as Maidenhead sub Alves found himself through on goal but Brill was equal to the drilled shot from distance.

Six minutes remained when Bonne’s through ball found Brophy free on goal, but the winger’s attempted chip was well blocked by Carl Pentney in the hosts’ net.

Comley tried his luck from distance but the sliced effort was way off target before Harrold Odametey tried a similar attempt but watched as the ball flew in to the crowd behind the goal.

Maidenhead had their best chance in injury time when a corner was almost scrambled over the line but Gorman was on the line to clear the ball as the referee blew his whistle to signal full-time.

The O’s are back in action next Saturday 13th October when Hartlepool United are our visitors to The Breyer Group Stadium in our first ‘Football for a Fiver’ game of the season. All tickets for this game are just £5 for home and away supporters and you can purchase online at Alternatively, you can purchase in-person at the O’s ticket office (open 9.30am-4.30pm, Monday to Friday) or over the phone on 020 8926 1010.

MAIDENHEAD: Pentney, Clerima, Odametey, Obileye, Comley, Bird (Alves 73), Kelly, Worsfold (Clifton 67), Cole, Akintunde (Archer 78), Massey (C)

SUBS: Smith, Mulley


BOOKED: Clerima (70)

ORIENT: Brill, Widdowson, Coulson, McAnuff, Clay, Bonne, Dayton (Brophy 70), Judd, Ekpiteta, Lee (Gorman 75), Alabi (Harrold 79)

SUBS: Sargeant, Ling

GOALS: Bonne (11), Alabi (30)

BOOKED: Clay (51)

REFEREE: Declan Bourne

ATTENDANCE: 2,016 (923 Orient fans)

Upcoming Fixture:
6th October 2018
Maidenhead United
Maidenhead United
0 - 2
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient