REPORT: Leyton Orient 3-1 Chesterfield

access_time 3 years ago

Strike pair Macauley Bonne and Josh Koroma provided a goal each side of the break while Marvin Ekpiteta struck to regain the lead during the second half of a chilly afternoon in E10.

Orient got the game underway and saw the first real chance fall to Joe Widdowson.  The full-back was excellently found inside the box by James Brophy, however the eventual shot was blocked 4 yards from goal by Will Evans of Chesterfield.

The O’s were dangerous down the left wing and struck first after eight minutes when Josh Koroma evaded Haydn Hollis’ challenge, advanced in to the box and powered the ball in to the back of the net beyond Callum Burton.

Five minutes after Koroma’s opener, Sam Ling watched the ball flash passed the far post after he latched on to James Brophy’s smart overlapping pass.

Shortly before the half hour mark, Dean Brill was called in to action when Sam Muggleton’s corner dropped at the feet of Levi Amantchi but the O’s stopper was alert to smother the danger.

The visitors pulled a goal back with ten minutes of the half remaining. Andrew Kiwomya found space in the box to head into the top corner.

The O’s started the second half well and just as the attendance was announced over the tannoy, Ling’s late run into the box was met by McAnuff’s cross but the defenders attempt bounced just wide of the target.

A minute later, Bonne found himself through on goal with Evans on his back. The forward took touches to get himself into the box but Burton blocked the shot in to Koroma’s path and his attempt was blocked by the final Chesterfield defender.

Down the other end, Denton chested the ball goalwards from a corner kick but Brill was very alert to block the ball on the line and somehow keep it from crossing the line.

Despite the visitors’ chance, it was all Orient. McAnuff’s corner was cleared back to the skipper who took on his man and beat him to the by-line. The winger then crossed for Ekpiteta who fought off his marker and poked the ball home to regain the lead.

Macauley bonne came close to wrapping up the three points after 76 minutes. He hustled the ball off Hollis and was clean through. The forward went for goal but was again denied by the on-rushing Burton.

This time, Bonne made no mistake when he slotted his penalty beyond Burton after 85 minutes after James Brophy had been brought down inside the box.

The referee called time on the game soon after Bonne’s 18th of the season. The victory ensured the O’s sat top of the National League table at Christmas.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Widdowson, Brophy (Harrold 87), Clay, Lee (Gorman 79), McAnuff (C), Koroma, Bonne (Alabi 90+1)

SUBS: Sargeant, Happe

BOOKED: Clay (12), McAnuff

GOALS: Koroma (8), Ekpiteta 62) Bonne (85)

CHESTERFIELD: Burton, Binnon-Williams, Evans, Weston, Shaw, Hollis, Muggleton (Beestin 45), Smith (C), Amantchi, Denton (Ofoegbu 76), Kiwomya (Rowley 66)

SUBS: Anyon, Nelson

BOOKED: Evans (45)

GOALS: Kiwomya (35)

REFEREE: Adrian Quelch

ATTENDANCE: 4,755 (255)

Upcoming Fixture:
22nd December 2018
National League
National League
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
3 - 1
Chesterfield FC
Chesterfield FC