REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-3 Salford City

access_time 3 years ago

Two Salford goals within the first nine minutes from Carl Piergianni and Rory Gaffney put the O’s behind at the break before Piergianni sealed his brace in the second-half with a header from similar range.

Orient got the game underway but found themselves behind within the first five minutes of play when Carl Piergianni nodded beyond Dean Brill from close range after Tom Walker’s corner found the defender four yards from goal.

Salford’s lead was doubled moments later when Rory Gaffney headed home from similar range after Danny Whitehead’s early cross found the forward.

Salford defender Nathan Pond brought down Josh Koroma on the edge of the penalty area, it was a very late challenge and caused a scuffle between a number of players from each side.

After a period of discussion with his assistants, referee Richard Hulme awarded yellow cards to Charlie Lee, Josh Koroma, Carl Piergianni and Pond.

Orient grew into the game and had the majority of possession towards the end of the first half.

Firstly, Jobi McAnuff’s powerful drive from the edge of the box was pushed wide by Chris Neal before James Brophy’s effort from the other wing caused problems in the Salford box before the visitors launched clear.

Five minutes from time saw the forward pairing of Bonne and Koroma link-up outside the box before the latter’s whipped shot was held firmly by Neal in the Salford net.

Seconds before the break, Lee’s hook back into the danger area was flicked towards goal by Josh Coulson but for Salford bodies on the line who cleared the danger as the man in the middle called an end to the opening 45.

Orient began the second half well and almost pulled one back when McAnuff’s pass evaded Hogan and found the run of Koroma who was through on goal but saw his left footed effort saved by well Neal.

James Brophy next to try his luck, the winger cut inside on to his favoured left foot but the effort was comfortable for Neal to save.

We were six minutes short of the hour mark and Orient had Salford pegged back into their own half as the home side searched for an opening. Koroma attempted to wrap the ball into the far post but again, Neal was equal to the shot.

Alex Lawless came on at the same time Jordan Maguire-Drew replaced Charlie Lee for his Orient debut and first outing in-front of the E10 crowd.

Maguire-Drew got straight into in the action after he received the ball form Sam Ling, cut inside on to his left foot but struck the ball straight at Neal.

The debutant was on the ball again moments later, his whipped free-kick 20-yards from goal was inches away from hitting the target from the left side of the pitch.

The visitors made it three after Walker’s wide free-kick was perfectly delieved to the head of Piergianni who scored his second of the afternoon from four yards.

After seven minutes of additional time the final chance fell to sub Devante Rodney but the forward rushed his chance and blasted the ball over Brill’s net as the game ended in defeat for the O’s.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Coulson (Happe 65), Ekpiteta, Widdowson, Brophy (Lawless 63), Gorman, Lee (Maguire-Drew 63), McAnuff, Koroma, Bonne

SUBS: Sargeant, Harrold

BOOKED: Lee (17), Koroma (17), Gorman (53), Ekpiteta (79)


SALFORD: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Hogan (C), Piergianni, Green (Rodney 86), Walker, Nolan, Whitehead (Rooney 90+1), Pond, Gaffney

SUBS: Lloyd, Crocombe, Dieseruvwe

BOOKED: Piergianni (18), Pond (18), Touray (90+2)

GOALS: Piergianni (6), Gaffney (8), Piergianni (81)

REFEREE: Richard Hulme

ATTENDANCE: 6,937 (251)

Upcoming Fixture:
5th January 2019
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
0 - 3
Salford City
Salford City