U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 2-4 Peterborough United

access_time 3 years ago

The Posh took a 3-0 lead into the break, but a much improved second half saw the O’s claw back some pride.

Things got off to a poor start as Peterborough took the lead inside 60 seconds. A loose ball fell kindly for the forward to flick home from ten yards out.

Brian Ifeanyi created half a chance for himself with some excellent dribbling down the right flank, but unfortunately saw his effort blocked by the centre-back, as he tried to level the scores.

Moments later, Sam Amedu made a vital stop to keep the score at 1-0. A curling effort looked to creep into the bottom corner, but the ‘keeper got down well to block the shot.

The visitors doubled their lead before the quarter of an hour mark. A ball across the box was fired home into the bottom corner doubling the visitors’ lead.

Things went from bad to worse, a third goal came before the 20 minute mark. A loose ball found a Peterborough man in space, who comfortably side footed in to the back of the net.

Orient improved in the closing moment of the half. Charles Clayden forced the goalkeeper save, after a silky run down the right flank. Before Bradley McClenaghan got up highest to head Jayden Sweeney’s free-kick towards goal, but saw his effort saved.

The young O’s did exceptionally to keep the ball out of the net on the brink of half-time. Some pinball-like action first saw a block by Sweeney, a header by McClenaghan and finally a save by Amedu deny Peterborough from scoring after a corner.

After the break, Ifeanyi and Lawrence Hammond linked up well, before the ball was hit narrowly wide by the latter. A minute later Marfo headed wide from a corner, as Orient looked to grab an early goal.

Minutes after the hour mark, the visitors killed early momentum as they added their fourth goal of the game. A driven cross through the six-yard-box was easily poked home.

Jeremie Sivi proved to be a handful for the left-back after being moved further up the pitch in the second-half. Sivi found an opening as he cut inside and pulled the trigger, but his effort dragged slightly wide.

The O’s netted twice in the closing eight minutes, with Anthony Papadopoulous and substitute Tom Mulqueen hitting the target.

Papadopoulous arrowed an effort into the top corner from distance, punishing the Peterborough defence for standing off him. The right-back found the net from 30-yards, connecting sweetly with the ball.

Mulqueen made his mark on the game, scoring after 17 minutes on the pitch. Mulqueen found Sivi out wide, before hammering the ball into the top corner from the return ball.

The O’s were unable to create further opportunities, as the clock ran out of time. The whistle was blown, with the score 4-2 to the visitors.

ORIENT: Sam Amedu, Anthony Papadopoulous, Mason Hall, Wynford Marfo, Jayden Sweeney, Jeremie Sivi, Brendon Shabani (Tom Mulqueen 69’’) Bradley McClenaghan, Charles Clayden (Sonny Perkins 40’’) Lawrence Hammond, Brian Ifeanyi (Lukas Rolfe 90’’)

SUBS: Rhys Byrne

GOALS: Papadopoulous 82’’ Mulqueen 86’’