U18 REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-2 Barnet

access_time 3 years ago

An early goal for the Bees gave the O’s an early disadvantage, as a blue jersey fired home from a tight angle. A whipped free-kick to the back post was taken down well by a Barnet man, who got his strike away after a good first touch.

Orient responded well to falling behind, playing some neat football as they found luck in wide areas. However, the final ball into the box lacked quality and as a consequence Barnet’s Goalkeeper was untroubled.

Barnet appeared to have doubled their advantage inside 20 minutes. A smart ball over the top of the O’s defensive line found its target who unselfishly squared the ball to a team mate to tap home, but the linesman ruled out the goal for offside.

Goalkeeper Henry Swordell displayed his abilities with a fine double save soon after, first diving brilliantly to claw away a header destined for the bottom corner; secondly fisting away a powerful strike heading for his top left corner.

Finlay Lovatt looked to bend the ball into the top corner after creating some space, but his effort from 25 yards just whistled over the crossbar.

The visitors took a slender 1-0 lead into the break. Jeremie Sivi replaced Ahmed Mirza at half-time as Orient looked to shake things up in the second-half.

Bradley McClenaghan appeared to pick up a knock immediately after the restart having denied the away side a glorious chance with a superbly timed slide tackle. The game came to a stop as the midfielder received treatment before being moved to the side-line and returning to the pitch 5 minutes later.

Despite the delay, the game soon found its flow; The O’s looked more assured all over the pitch, as they limited Barnet to fewer shooting opportunities.

However chances weren’t falling to either side as Orient introduced Jayden Young into the game in a bid to change the sides luck.

With 15 minutes left on the clock the O’s raced away on the counter. Brian Ifeanyi held onto the ball as he waited for runners. He found Young who made a superb run down the left channel; Lovatt waited in the middle, unfortunately an assured block from the defender denied the cross meeting Lovatt who was in acres of space.

With five minutes left to play, Orient were dealt a massive blow as Barnet doubled their lead and secured the three points. Having intercepted the ball in the final third, The Bees tapped the ball in from six yards out following a low cross into the area.


The O’s go up against MK Dons next weekend as they look to turn around recent from and pick up some points. The game is scheduled for an 11am kick-off, as The U18’s travel away from home.


Orient: Henry Sworder, Reggie Pegrum, Ben Staerck, Bradley McClenaghan, Ahmed Mirza, Matthew Young, Brian Ifeanyi, Tom Mulqueen, Lawrence Hammond, Finlay Lovatt, Anthony Papadopoulos

Subs Used: Jayden Young (Lawrence Hammond 55) Jeremie Sivi (Ahmed Mirza 45)