U18 REPORT: MK Dons 5-2 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

The game opened at a rapid pace, with both teams looking to make the breakthrough. Six minutes in O’s Keeper Vilinauskas had to be on his toes to block a dipping half-volley following an MK Dons corner.

A couple of minutes on, Orient would be next to try their luck. Brian Ifeanyi and Jayden Young linking superbly, with the latter narrowly dragged his effort wide of the target.

The pair linked up once again shortly after, Young this time playing the ball into Ifeanyi who escaped Dons defenders, but couldn’t beat the Keeper who smothered the ball at the forwards feet.

Ifeanyi was proving to be a real handful for the hosts; the number 10 stabbed an effort wide after he carried the ball to the edge of the area and hit at goal.

The hosts would have taken the lead after 16 minutes if it hadn’t been for the determination of Matthew Young. The centre-back was on hand to clear the ball from the line after a Dons forward had rounded the keeper.

20 minutes in, the game’s tempo showed no sign of slowing, with both sides breaking at pace.  Vilinauskas made another great save, he tipped a fierce half-volley over the crossbar.

Orient were the team to break the deadlock 27 minutes into the game with Ifeanyi finished a cool move. A one-two with Young on the halfway-line exposed a high defensive-line, Ifeanyi raced clear and slotted the ball into the net.

Anthony Papadopoulos made a vital tackle to deny the home side equalising before half-time, sliding in to block a shot after a white shirt wriggled free in the penalty area.

Two minutes after the restart, Jayden Sweeney doubled Orient’s lead. The left-back was allowed to dribble deep into the opposition half, before firing the ball across the Goalkeeper from the edge of the area, clipping the inside of the post as it went in.

Tom Mulqueen, Reggie Pegrum and Finlay Lovatt all came on from the bench as Orient controlled large spells of the second-half.

Ten minutes from time, the referee was in the middle of the drama denying Brian Ifeanyi a penalty before seconds later penalising Matthew Young in his own area, with two dubious decisions.

Ifeanyi looked to have had his heels clipped from behind, whilst Young was adjudged to have tripped his man, despite both players being tangled together. Despite appeals, Martin stepped up and pulled a goal back for the home side.

An equaliser came two minutes later, with the same man cutting in from the right-flank and drilling the ball into the roof of the net. Martin rounded of his hat-trick four minutes from time tapping in from close range as the goal beckoned.

The MK Dons man would find the net another two times in stoppage time with strikes from outside the area, as a perfect personal performance overshadowed all of Orient’s hard work prior to the 80th minute.

The U18’s are set to host Newport County this Saturday morning with kick-off scheduled for 10:30am. The Young O’s play at The Whitbread Sports Ground which can be found by heading to the postcode: IG8 7NJ. The closest underground stations are Roding Valley/Woodford, both of which are on the central line.


ORIENT: A. Vilinauskas, Anthony Papadopoulous, Wynford Marfo, Matthew Young, Jayden Sweeney, Jeremie Sivi, Brad McClenaghan, Ben Staerck, Lawrence Hammond, Jayden Young, Brian Ifeanyi

SUBS USED: Tom Mulqueen (Hammond 64‘’), Reggie Pegrum (Sivi 64’’), Finlay Lovatt (J. Young 70‘’)

GOALS: Ifeanyi 27’’ Sweeney 47’’