REPORT: Newport County 1-2 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

On a blustery afternoon, The O’s travelled away from home as a result of the fixture being rearranged.

The hosts enjoyed a better start to the game as they tried to stamp their authority on the tie in the opening ten minutes.

O’s Keeper Aridas Vilinauskas made a superb stop in the opening moments of play.  A shot-come-cross flashed across his six-yard to a forward, but Vilinauskas was alert and made a point blank stop.

Orient settled into the tie and were awarded a penalty after 14 minutes for a late challenge on Jeremie Sivi. The winger preyed onto a loose ball flicking it past an outstretched leg before being swiped down in the area.

Sivi confidently put the ball down on the spot, shot to his left; but with too much power his penalty went over the Keeper’s crossbar.

The winger would make up for his miss with an elegant assist, picking out Jayden Sweeney in space on the left channel with a 40-yard pass.

The full-back had space but smashed an early effort across the keeper from distance, netting his second goal in as many games.

Orient took a firm grip on the match, doubling their lead a couple of moments later.

A whipped corner into the box was spilt by the keeper with Diego Dunbar-Bonne capitalising on the error to poke the ball home from under his nose.  

The hosts wasted a big chance to get back into the game, flicking the ball over the bar from close range following a perfectly delivered free-kick.

Before the close of the half, Newport were reduced to ten-men, as their full-back was shown a straight red for a strong challenge on Sivi.

A two footed dive caught the O’s man just below the knee with the ref giving him his marching orders after consulting his lineman.

Five minutes into the second-half, Dunbar-Bonne won back possession before freeing Sivi in the penalty area, he cut inside before curling an effort inches from the target.

Vilanksaukas and his defenders heroically kept the ball from crossing the line following a dangerous ball into the area, bravely putting their bodies on the line to make important blocks.

The O’s stopper gathered the ball under pressure, soaking multiple challenges from opposition players. The Keeper received treatment and was soon subbed-off.

Kyrell Palmer, Jez Davies, Jordan Adeyemi and Goalkeeper Sean Campbell all featured, coming on from the bench.

Injuries slowed the tempo of the game, with chances sparse for both sides. With Five minutes remaining, the hosts would score a fine consolation. A looping volley from the edge of the area left Campbell rooted to the spot.

The home side had five minutes of stoppage time to find an equaliser, though struggled to fashion an opening. A tame effort was comfortably gathered by Campbell as time ran out, with Orient securing a deserved victory on the road.

Next up: The Youngsters travel to Cheltenham Town this Saturday with the hope of securing a second win on the road.

Orient: Aridas Vilinauskas (Sean Campbell 75), Anthony Papadopoulos, Jayden Sweeney, Brad McClenaghan, Wynford Marfo, Matt Young, Jeremie Sivi (Jez Davies 75), Ben Staerck, Lawrence Hammond, Finlay Lovatt (Jordan Adeyemi 75), Diego Dunbar-Bonne (Kyrell Plamer 60)

Goals: Sweeney (21) Dunbar-Bonne (24)

Booked: Sweeney 67’’