REPORT: Barnet 0-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 years ago

Our Head Coach Justin Edinburgh was forced into one change this afternoon, Alex Lawless slotted in on the right in place of Jamie Turley who suffered a Hamstring injury last time out against AFC Fylde.

We got the game underway at a sun drenched Hive in North London and won an early corner through Macauley Bonne. Barnet defended the set-piece well before the game settled in the opening stages.

Dave Tarpey had two close range strikes saved well from Dean Brill before our shot stopper produced another excellent save to deny Wes Fonguck who beat the offside-trap and found himself one-on-one.

For the O’s, Josh Koroma went closest, his touch around his defender beat the marker before his shot trickled into the hands of Barnet ‘keeper Mark Cousins.

We went close again soon after, McAnuff’s fourth corner of the game found Josh Coulson at the back post but his header was cleared off the line by the retreating Dan Sweeney.

Despite Barnet’s possession joy, we went close again when Alex Lawless’ good cross found Joe Widdowson’s run at the back of the box but the full-back’s header dropped inches wide.

Edinburgh made a change at the break, our captain McAnuff was replaced by Charlie Lee, our second change came ten minutes later when Jay Simpson came on in place of Josh Koroma.

Lee’s long throw was flicked towards goal by Coulson and it found Simpson in the centre of the net who was well challenged by Sweeney seconds before he was about to fire at goal.

Seconds later, Brophy advanced on goal and chopped his man to find space for the shot which he curled just over the crossbar.

Newly introduced Medy Elito raced through on goal after 77 minutes and only had Brill to beat, but the shot-stopper made himself big as the Barnet man missed the target.

There was a huge penalty shout for the O’s in injury time, Jame Dayton went down under a challenge inside the box but the referee Sam Purkiss blew in favour of the home side and awarded Dayton a yellow card.

The final chance of the game fell to the O’s as we thought we stole all three points. Lee’s long throw was helped on by Happe then nodded home by Coulson who was in an offside position, the assistant’s flag cutting short the O’s celebrations.

BARNET: Cousins, Alexander (Robson 57), Johnson, Reynolds, Tarpey, Coulthirst, Taylor, Boucaud (Elito 70), Fonguck, Sweeney (Santos 64), Mason-Clark
SUBS: Azaze, Akinola

ORIENT: Brill, Lawless (Dayton 79), Ekpiteta, Coulson, Happe, Widdowson, McAnuff (Lee 45), Clay, Brophy, Koroma (Simpson 57), Bonne
SUBS: Sargeant, Alabi
BOOKED: Dayton (90+2)

REFEREE: Sam Purkiss

Upcoming Fixture:
30th March 2019
Barnet FC
Barnet FC
0 - 0
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient