CLOSE UP: Colchester United

access_time 3 years ago

Colchester United

Most recent campaign:

The U’s were unfortunate to miss out on the play-offs by a single point in 2018/19 as they finished in 8th position having won 20, drawn 10 and lost 16 of their 46 matches. 

Head Coach:

John McGreal – The former Ipswich Town defender initially joined Colchester United as an Academy Professional Development Coach before being made Under-21’s Manager. Following a spell as Interim Manager, McGreal took charge of the first team on May 4, 2016, and has won 56 of his 153 matches in charge.


Star Man:

Frankie Kent – The centre-back came through the U’s academy, making his debut on May 3, 2014, in 1-0 away win against Walsall and has made 131 appearances in all competitions. After winning the Young Player of the Year award in 2016, Kent was named the Club’s 2018/19 Player of the Year.


Transfer Business:

Colchester have added young non-league starlet Kwame Poku to their ranks this summer but have also seen the departure of Brennan Dickenson, who joined newly-promoted League One side MK Dons. 


The JobServe Community Stadium was opened in August 2008 and has a capacity of 10,105. It is an all-seater stadium with the away supporters located in the North Stand. 

Last Meeting:

Leyton Orient 1-3 Colchester United [League Two – April 29, 2017]

The O’s defeat to Colchester United in April 2017 was little more than routine on the pitch yet is one of the most memorable days in the O’s recent history. 

Having already had relegation confirmed, the O’s were looking for pride against the play-off hopefuls and the visitors showed their pedigree when Tarique Fosu-Henry opened the scoring. Sandro Semedo’s brilliant 30-yard effort put the O’s back on level pegging just after the break but Colchester United wrapped up the points with a two-minute double – Chris Porter capitalising on a mistake before future O’s hero Macauley Bonne scored the winner. 

At this point, the O’s fans invaded the pitch in a protest at the Club’s then-tumultuous ownership. The peaceful protest saw our supporters, of all ages, sit on the pitch until the match was suspended. Once cleared play was resumed and the final eight minutes were played behind-closed-doors, although there were no chances to report.