REPORT: Macclesfield Town 3-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 years ago

Our first away trip of the League Two season ended in a 3 goal defeat at  Macclesfield Town at Moss Rose earlier this afternoon.

Theo Archibald opened the scoring in spectacular fashion in the first half, before Paddy Osadebe and Theo Vassell wrapped up the points after the break.

A quiet start to proceeding’s at Moss Rose mirrored the last meeting between the two sides, back in the National League.

There were few chances to report on as both Josh Coulson and Josh Wright both had opportunities within the opening 20-minutes, but neither caused ‘keeper Owen Evans any danger.

Bang on the half-hour mark, Theo Archibald curled a left-footed strike straight in to the top corner from 25-yards. Macclesfield Town took the lead after a fairly even start, through a goal which took many by surprise.

The home side took their one goal advantage in to the break, but there was a much more lively start to the second-half as the O’s kicked towards the travelling support.

We enjoyed plenty of possession and almost turned it in to a goal when Dan Happe headed on target from Jordan Maguire-Drew’s corner kick. The ball looked to be flying in to the top corner until Evans got a strong hand to it to keep his team in the lead.

Shortly before the hour mark, Josh Coulson looked to find the corner of the net with a thumping header but was denied by the official on the nearside who flagged for offside.

Louis Dennis was introduced to the travelling O’s following his very short cameo appearance at The Breyer Group Stadium and immediately caused problems for the hosts and forcing a corner kick.

The corner was defended and cleared by Macclesfield however, and the counter attack which followed allowed Paddy Osadebe to break through on goal and slot beyond Brill in the O’s net. Macclesfield stretched their lead to two goals, against the run of play.

Matt Harold was brought on for the last 15 minutes in place of skipper Josh Coulson, Craig Clay took over the armband for captain’s duty.

It was to no effect however, as the home side wrapped up the points on the day with a header from defender Theo Vassell from 6-yards following a corner-kick from Jak McCourt.

The game ended in Macclesfield Town’s favour as the we fell to our first defeat of the season. Next up is a trip to Plymouth Argyle on Tuesday evening in the Carabao Cup.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Ekpiteta, Coulson (Harrold 75), Happe, Brophy, Wright, Clay, Maguire-Drew (Dennis 66), Wilkinson, Angol (Alabi 81)

SUBS: Sargeant, Widdowson, Gorman, Judd

BOOKED: Angol (49)

MACCLESFIELD: Evans, Clarke, McCourt (Kirby 86), Kelleher, Vassell, Harris, Ironside (Blyth 63), Stephens (Gomis 79), Archibald, Welch-Hayes, Osadebe

SUBS: Charles-Cook, Horsfall, O’Keefe

BOOKED: Welch-Hayes (51), Stephens (51)

GOALS: Archibald (31), Osadebe (68), Vassell (83)

REFEREE: Andy Haines


Upcoming Fixture:
10th August 2019
videocam volume_up
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Macclesfield Town
Macclesfield Town
3 - 0
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient