REPORT: Plymouth Argyle 2-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 years ago

The O’s fell to a two-goal defeat at Plymouth Argyle’s Home Park in the Carabao Cup on Tuesday evening.

Ross Embleton took the chance to freshen up his squad by introducing Joe Widdowson, Dale Gorman, Myles Judd and Louis Dennis to the starting XI at Home Park.

It was another cagey start to the evening’s game for the Orient. Plymouth Argyle were first to trouble the other’s defence. Ryan Taylor couldn’t direct his free-header on target from six-yard having been picked out from the left-wing.

No more than ten minutes later, Danny Mayor escaped down the wing and sent a teasing cross in to the area, however Dan Happe was alert to clear any lurking danger.

The home side were quickest out of the blocks and came close just before 20-minutes of play. Dom Telford picked up a loose ball outside of the box and curled and effort inches wide of the target. It looked as though Dean Brill had it covered.

The first chance on goal for Orient came just before the 40-minute mark. It was an effort that came from an unlikely source, defender Marvin Ekpiteta marched forward and hit an effort on goal from distance, the attempt however didn’t trouble Mike Cooper in the Plymouth Argyle net.

There were few Orient chances to report on in the opening 45 minutes as the sides went in to the break level.

Orient made a quick start after the break, Lee Angol fired at goal from the wide left but missed the target after Mike Cooper was left stranded in the Pilgrims’ goal.

Straight up the home end, Dom Telford found a pocket of space and opportunity to strike at goal, he was on the turn inside the Orient box but missed the target by some margin, closely marked by Josh Coulson.

Despite the bright start for the O’s, it was the home side who took the lead after 59 minutes. Callum McFadzean picked the ball up on the edge of the box and picked his spot right in the corner for the opener.

There was no let up for the O’s as Dom Telford raced free, beyond the back-line and fired low in to the bottom corner to double Plymouth Argyle’s lead three minutes after the first.

The home side had the ball in the net with five minutes to play, but the official on the near-side cut celebrations short at his flag was raised for offside.

Orient’s final chance on the stroke of full-time, Happe looked to head his side back in to the game but he couldn’t turn James Brophy’s corner-kick in to the back of the net.

ORIENT: Brill, Judd, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Happe, Widdowson, Wright, Clay, Gorman (Brophy 68), Dennis (Wilkinson 68), Angol

SUBS: Sargeant, Ling, Maguire-Drew, Harrold, Alabi

ARGYLE: Cooper, Riley, Sawyer (C), Canavan, Edwards (Baxter 60) , Taylor (Moore 60), Mayor (Randell 73), Telford, Grant, McFadzean, Grant

SUBS: Wootton, Sarcevic, Moore, Lolos, Palmer (GK)

BOOKED: Grant (84)

GOALS: McFadzean (59), Telford (62)

REFEREE: Antony Coggins

ATTENDANCE: 5,573 (205)

Upcoming Fixture:
13th August 2019
English League Cup
English League Cup
Plymouth Argyle
Plymouth Argyle
2 - 0
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient