REPORT: Leyton Orient 0-0 Stevenage

access_time 2 years ago

Dominant O’s were held to a goalless draw at The Breyer Group Stadium against Stevenage this afternoon.

James Brophy, Lee Angol and Conor Wilkinson all went close throughout the game but were unable to find the back of the net.

After two lengthy periods of treatment for Stevenage players Soctt Cuthbert and Terence Vancooten, Orient got a foothold in the game and looked dangerous in attack.

After five minutes, James Brophy received the ball on the wing and skipped beyond two of his markers before he flashed an effort just wide of Farman’s net.

There was more pressure from Embleton’s men in the opening stages, Conor Wilkinson saw two shots caught by Farman in the visitors net.

Josh wright was next to go close, his delicate finish from close range was palmed wide by Farman who was by far the busier of the two ‘keepers.

Wright’s opportunity came from more wonderful play on the left, Brophy and Sam Ling linked up well before the latter found the midfielder with a low cross.

Referee Lee Swabey had a big call to make after 25 minutes, he judged Dan Happe to have brought down Danny Newton in the penalty area, but after conversation with his assistant, the man in charge changed his mind and awarded the visitors a corner-kick instead.

Stevenage’s first chance came very deep in to injury time. Kurtis Guthrie stretched to reach Stokes’ cross but he was inches away from connecting with he ball. That proved to be the last chance of the half as the scores were level at the break.

Orient started the second half as quickly as the did the first. Both forwards were unlucky not to find the net as they were denied by an excellent double Farman save.

Stevenage’s full-back Luther Wildin drove forward and attempted to test Dean Brill but the shot was dragged well wide of the net.

Embleton made all three changes, introducing Dale Gorman, Louis Dennis and Matt Harold in an attempt to turn all of our hard-work in to a goal.

Former Boro man Gorman stung the hands of Farman with a dipping shot from 20-yards, with only 5 minutes remaining on the clock.

The rebound fell to Ling who sent a good cross in to the area but couldn’t find the head of a man in red.

Stevenage almost stole all three points at the death, Danny Newton’s powerful shot from inside the box is palmed to safety by Dean Brill.

That was the final chance of the game and the points on the day were shared.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Widdowson (Dennis 75), Ekpiteta, Coulson (C), Clay (Gorman 71), Wilkinson, Happe (Harrold 81), Brophy, Angol, Wright

SUBS: Sargeant, Maguire-Drew, Judd, Alabi

BOOKED: Clay (45+1)

STEVENAGE: Farman, Wildin, Stones, Cuthbert (Iotton (36), Soares, Carter, Vancooten (Fernandez 7), Newton, Watts, Taylor (Cowley 90), Guthrie

SUBS: Bastien, Byrom, Husin, Rollinson


REFEREE: Lee Swabey

ATTENDANCE: 5,104 (442)

Upcoming Fixture:
17th August 2019
volume_up videocam
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
0 - 0