REPORT: Mansfield Town 2-3 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 years ago

Orient recorded their second league win in the most dramatic fashion over Mansfield Town on Tuesday night.

After going two goals down at the break through a Danny Rose double from the spot, the O’s regrouped and mounted their comeback in the second-half.

Firstly Conor Wilkinson nodded home Louis Dennis’ to pull one back. Then, Lee Angol fired home from an acute angle after linking with his strike partner.

Finally, for the winner Jordan Maguire-Drew somehow forced the ball over the line from close range after Angol’s cross found the forward at the back-post.

Ross Embleton named an unchanged starting XI earlier this evening at Mansfield Town.

New signing George Marsh was named on the bench, James Alabi made way for the Spurs loanee.

Orient got off to a bright start and looked to put pressure on their hosts, but the good work was undone in the 12th minute when Otis Khan went down under challenge inside the area.

Danny Rose stepped up and converted to give Mansfield Town an early lead at the One Call stadium.

Orient looked for an immediate response and it almost came in the form of Conor Wilkinson, his shot from an acute angle was beaten away by Conrad Logan in the Mansfield net.

Again Orient pressed, despite being a goal down Josh Wright’s free-kick on the wide right found the head of Marvin Ekpiteta at the back-post and his powerful header was pushed away by Logan.

Shortly before the half-hour mark, Mansfield Town were awarded another questionable penalty when Danny Rose fell over inside the box. He then converted the kick, doubling his tally for the evening.

The hosts went close again five minutes prior to the break, Khan smashed the ball against the woodwork from a 25-yard free-kick.

Embleton made a change in personnel and formation at the break, Louis Dennis came on in place of Dan Happe. It was an attacking sub as the O’s looked to get back in to the game.

James Brophy angled a free-kick towards the back post and Ekpiteta got up above his marker, however the defender could only head wide of the target.

The change seemed to make a difference as the O’s pulled one back after an hour. Sam Ling worked brilliantly to keep the ball in play and find Louis Dennis who helped it on towards goal.

Conor Wilkinson saw the opportunity to get a touch and he did just that with his head before the ball bounced over the line.

Just 20 minutes remained and the momentum was with the visiting side as the central defenders combined in the box. Ekpiteta’s cross was met by the head of Coulson but he nodded wide under pressure.

Much to the delight of the travelling support, the changes paid off. Conor Wilkinson and Lee Angol linked up superbly outside the box before the former raced in to the danger area and fired beyond Logan to level the score against his former Club. 

Unbelievable. Orient completed the perfect comeback deep in to injury time, Lee Angol raced clear and unselfishly squared to the back post where Louis Dennis touched the ball on to Jordan Maguire-Drew who forced the ball home from close range.

Orient’s come back sparked crazy scenes in the away end which saw players and staff alike celebrating with the travelling support.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Widdowson (Gorman 87), Ekpiteta, Coulson, Clay, Wilkinson (Maguire-Drew 90+2), Happe (Dennis 46), Brophy, Angol, Wright

SUBS: Sargeant, Judd, Harrold, Marsh

BOOKED: Dennis, Gorman (90+4)

GOALS: Wilkinson (64), Angol (78), Maguire-Drew (90+6)

MANSFIELD: Logan, White (Clarke 90+1), Pearce (C), Sweeney, Gordon, Macdonald, Tomlinson, Benning, Khan (Smith 69), Rose, Maynard (Hamilton 74)

SUBS: Stone, Sterling-James, Law, Gibbens

BOOKED: White (84), Sweeney (90+4)

GOALS: Rose (12 & 29)

REFEREE: Sebastian Stockbridge

ATTENDANCE: 4,128 (326)

Upcoming Fixture:
20th August 2019
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town
2 - 3
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient