REPORT: Salford City 1-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 years ago

A very strong second-half display from the O’s saw us take a point back home to E10.

Salford City went ahead after 13 minutes through Richie Towell’s wonder-strike but James Brophy forced Chris Neal in to an own-goal after the break as Orient ended the game well on top.

Ross Embleton made one change to the side that started against Crawley Town at The Breyer Group Stadium last weekend.

Dan Happe returned to the defensive line in place of Jordan Maguire-Drew who dropped to the bench along side latest singing George Marsh who is yet to make his debut performance in an O’s shirt.

After a sun drenched warm up, the heavens opened on the blow of Marc Edwards’ whistle. Conor Wilkinson was the first to have an attempt on goal but his effort from 20-yards dropped wide of the target.

Despite a positive start for the O’s, it was the hosts who scored with their first effort of note. Richie Towell received a long throw-in from the right and arrowed the ball in to the top corner for the opener.

Salford’s goal seemed to spark some confidence in to the side, Manny Dieseruvwe headed goal-wards from Danny Lloyd’s free-kick but Dean Brill dived superbly to his right to tip the danger away.

Salford thought they had doubled their lead just moments later, Dieseruvwe’s shot from distance was parried by Brill in to the path of Adam Rooney who converted from an offside position and the the scores remained level.

After the break we were unlucky to lose our captain Josh Coulson through injury, Jordan Maguire-Drew came on in his place.

Maguire-Drew was straight in to the thick of the action, his corner wasn’t cleared by Salford and Clay’s shot was spilled by Neal in to Dennis’ path, but the forward couldn’t keep his effort on target from close range.

The substitution by Embleton saw a change in shape for the O’s and it seemed to give the side a boost. Sam Ling did well to keep the ball in play and cross for Angol at the back-post but his header was cleared off the line but a well positioned Carl Piergianni.

Orient were knocking on the door, Craig Clay went close from two deflected shots but it was Angol who looked most likely to score for us, he fired a ferocious effort agonisingly wide of Neals net we Orient controlled possession.

It was almost a case of deja vu at the Peninsula Stadium, Orient’s excellent pressure paid off when James Brophy’s shot forced a mistake out of Chris Neal who pushed the ball beyond his own goal-line with virtually the last kick of the game.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Ekpiteta, Coulson (Maguire-Drew 63), Clay, Wilkinson, Happe, Brophy (Judd 90+2), Dennis (Harrold 84), Angol, Wright

SUBS: Sergeant, Gorman, Marsh, Alabi


GOALS: Neal OG (87)

SALFORD: Neal, Wiseman, Touray, Piergianni, Maynard, Rooney (J. Jones 76), Lloyd, Towell, Dieseruvwe, Pond (Threlkeld 50), Beesley

SUBS: Letheren, Walker, Whhitehead, D.Jones

BOOKED: Rooney (62)

GOALS: Towell (13)

REFEREE: Marc Edwards

ATTENDANCE: 3,152 (650)

Upcoming Fixture:
31st August 2019
videocam volume_up
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Salford City
Salford City
1 - 1
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient