REPORT: Leyton Orient 1-3 Swindon Town

access_time 2 years ago

The O’s were defeated 1-3 by Swindon Town at The Breyer Group Stadium on Saturday afternoon.

Orient got the game underway at a very loud and packed out E10, it was Swindon with the first chance of the game, Danny Rose’s powerful effort from the edge of the box rebounded of his own man and away from danger. The shot looked certain to to have tested Dean Brill in the O’s net.

The visitors piled on the pressure in the early stages with successive corner kicks, but the O’s stood firm in defence as the back six were called in to action.

Our first shot came after a quarter of an hour, Lee Angol and Conor Wilkinson linked up well in midfield before the latter advanced towards the box, unfortunately his effort was dragged well wide of the target.

It was Swindon with the first goal, after 23 minutes of play, Keshi Anderson saw his initial free-kick blocked by the wall but took his time with the rebound and picked out the bottom corner of the net for the opener.

Immediately Orient looked for a response to going behind, but James Brophy saw his weak shot caught by McCormick in the Swindon net.

Jerry Yates forced Brill in to a good save low to his right after he worked his way in to the box through a sea of red bodies, our stopper ensured the scores remained level.

Then it was the turn of Conor Wilkinson, who with his second chance of the game dipped a shot inches over the crossbar.

It was a nightmare final five minutes of the first half for the O’s. Firstly, Rob Hunt’s cross was deflected in to the top corner of the net from 25-yards out.

Then it was three, Jerry Yates finished off a quick counter attacking move by the Robins to see his side lead at the break.

Ross opted for a change of personnel and shape after the restart, Jordan Maguire-Drew came on in place defender Dan Happe as we switched to four at the back.

Swindon went close six minutes after the restart, Lloyd Isgrove took aim from distance but watched the ball cannon back off the upright and away from danger.

Our best chance of the game came moments later, Josh Wright beat the offside trap as the O’s countered and chipped the ball towards the back post where Jordan Maguire-Drew attempted to attack the cross but good defending from Danny Rose kept us at bay.

Our second change of the game a minute before the hour mark, Dale Gorman was introduced in place of Craig Clay.

On 67 minutes, the away fans thought they had a fourth when Eoin Doyle’s cross was deflected in by and offside Jerry Yates. Celebrations were cut short by the official on the far side who lifted his flag alerting referee Kevin Johnson.

Wilkinson had another chance to grab a goal back, but he could only clip the outside of the post form 20-yards out after some good build-up play.

We went one better this time, Jordan Maguire-Drew curled the ball beyond Luke McCormick to make the scores 1-3 after 74 minutes.

For the goal, Louis Dennis made a brilliant run to create space for Wilkinson to move in to, he was fouled but the ref played advantage and the ball dropped to the substitute to finish as the O’s looked to end the game strongly.

Dennis was next to try his luck, Joe Widdowson expertly found the head of Wilkinson who nodded down to his strike partner, however the first time effort whistled just behind the post.

The number 17 was involved again moments later, he controlled James Brophy’s cross and found Josh Wright’s late run but the midfielder struck wide.

Dennis’ impact was clear to see, he connected with Maguire-Drew’s wonderful cross and forced McCormick in to an equally as good save.

Despite a flurry of attacking chances and play, Orient were unable to capitalise on the much better showing in the second half.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Widdowson, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Clay (Gorman 59), Wilkinson, Happe (Maguire-Drew 45), Brophy, Angol (Dennis 65), Wright

SUBS: Sargeant, Harrold, Marsh, Ogie

BOOKED: Angol (38), Gorman (77), Ling (90+3)

GOALS: Maguire-Drew (74)


SWINDON: McCormick, Rose, Baudry, Isgrove (Woolery 85), Yates, Iandolo, Lyden (Grant 36), Hunt, Conroy (C), Dyole, Anderson (May 90+3)

SUBS: Henry, Reid, Broadbent, Curren

BOOKED: Anderson (87)

GOALS: Anderson (23), Hunt (43), Yates (45+1)

REFEREE: Kevin Johnson

ATTENDANCE: 7,042 (1,307)

Upcoming Fixture:
7th September 2019
videocam volume_up
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
1 - 3
Swindon Town
Swindon Town