Kickoff: 25/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town


access_time 2 years ago

Orient recorded their fifth consecutive win last weekend to reach the next round of the FA Cup, as a double from Otesha Charles plus one each from Egle Trezzi and Sophie Le Marchand saw off Abingdon United 4-1 at Northcourt Road.

Due to an outbreak of flu amongst the squad, Orient travelled to Oxfordshire with a squad of just 12 and they got off to a sluggish start, falling behind early on to a fantastic long range strike from Abingdon winger Molly Lygo.

Abingdon ply their trade in the division below the O’s and it was clear to see early on that they were motivated to cause an upset, but Orient grew into the game and they were back level in the 26th minute. Hayley Barton’s in-swinging corner was flicked on high up into the air by Charles and Trezzi was on hand to prod home to restore parity for her side.

Following the equaliser, the O’s started to look more like their usual selves and they were in front just ten minutes later. Lisa Holmback slid in Le Marchand and Orient’s vice-captain showed great composure to check back inside and curl a shot into the far corner of the net.

Having completed the turnaround, the O’s weren’t looking to take their foot off the gas just yet and moments before half time they made it 3-1. Another great set-piece delivery from Barton was nodded in by Charles at the far post to give her side a two goal advantage going into the interval.

Orient started the second period as they finished the last, as they looked to put the tie beyond any doubt. First, Holmback poked wide after finding some space on the edge of the box and then Charles forced a couple of good saves from Sophie Kirby in the Abingdon goal.

Charles wasn’t to be denied in the 54th minute however, as she turned her marker and produced a powerful drive past Kirby to bag her second and Orient’s fourth.

The O’s eased up on the pressure ever so slightly with a busy run of fixtures in mind, but that didn’t stop Charles coming very close to completing her hat-trick with 15 minutes to go. The Guyanese striker was played in by Holmback and flashed a fierce effort narrowly wide.

Barton also had a shot crash against the woodwork late on, before the referee blew the full-time whistle.

time on what was a potential banana skin for the O’s, but one that, after going behind early on, they did well to navigate with relative comfort.

Having fell behind, Orient skipper Danielle Griffiths was pleased to make the next round:

“We’re glad to get the win to put our name in the hat for the next round. I don’t think it was our finest 90-minute performance, but certainly for a good 60-minute period in the middle. We were clinical, on top, and made the most of our chances.”

Next up for the O’s is a mid-week trip across London to take on a fellow unbeaten side in the National League Division One South East, AFC Wimbledon.

Orient: Ogunde, Bastyr, Brown (Montiel-McCann, 65), Griffiths (C), Anderson, Trezzi, Ali, Barton, Holmback, Le Marchand, Charles

Booked: Brown (19)

Goals: Trezzi (26), Le Marchand (38), Charles (44, 54)

Abingdon: Kirby, Talbot (Maton, 46), Hawtin, Boxall, Chivers, Deeley, Young (Pipe, 61), McCabe, Isaac, Smith, Lygo (Timbs, 76)

Goal: Lygo (7)