access_time 2 years ago

A frustrating evening for the O’s ended in a 3-0 defeat to AFC Wimbledon, as the hosts were victorious in the Trophy.

James Dayton made his long-awaited return to the pitch as he Captained a heavily rotated O’s team for 60 minutes, as Ross Embleton made nine changes to the side that started Saturdays 1-0 win away to Northampton.

Elsewhere, Shadrach Ogie started at left-back, while James Alabi partnered Louis Dennis in attack against a League One side that made just two changes to the team that beat Rochdale at the weekend.

The wait for the opening goal wasn’t long as referee Charles Breakspear awarded the hosts a penalty just two minutes in – Shadrach Ogie was adjudged to have brought down Scott Wagstaff with excessive force. Joe Pigott stepped up and tucked the spot-kick away to give the Dons the lead.

Louis Dennis had two opportunities to equalise immediately after. The forward crashed a close-range effort off the underside of the bar after James Alabi picked him out in the area, before a miss-hit volley from the edge of the box trickled wide of the mark.

13 minutes played, Jordan Maguire-Drew’s free-kick looked to have levelled the game, as a fantastic curling effort rippled the netting but the ball had fizzed the wrong side of Nathan Trott’s post.

Chances kept coming for the O’s and it was Dennis again who fired over, as Alabi’s goal bound header was only half-cleared by the Wombles defence.

Defensively Orient were relatively untroubled in the first 30 minutes, but Marvin Ekpiteta had to be alert to take the sting out of a first time Pigott shot, allowing Sam Sargeant to gather.

Orient’s Ogie picked up the first booking of the contest for bringing down a man on the halfway line as a counter attack looked threatening.

Sargeant made a spectacular double save to deny Mitchell Pinnock and Michael Folivi before the break, keeping the score at 1-0.

Pinnock’s low drive hurtled towards the bottom corner but was tipped away and Sargeant followed it up with a vital block to deny Folivi the rebound.

Jayden Sweeney was brought on at the beginning of the second half as Marvin Ekpiteta made way.

Wimbledon came out of the blocks quicker than the O’s and soon doubled their advantage, as Folivi tapped home after Sargeant had palmed away his original effort.

With half an hour to play both sides made a double substitution, with Ross Embleton introducing James Brophy and Josh Coulson, as James Dayton and Shadrach Ogie left the pitch.

Maguire-Drew won a penalty for Orient 18 minutes from time giving Dale Gorman the opportunity to pull one back from the spot. The midfielder struck his penalty fiercely to Trotts’s right, but the number one was equal to the strike and made an important save at a vital time in the game.

Callum Reilly fired home the third and final goal, picking his spot from the edge of the 18-yard-box and sealing a home victory ten minutes from time.

Myles Judd had a header well saved in stoppage time; while the linesman denied Orient a consolation, as Louis Dennis nodded home from an offside position.

The full-time whistle soon followed, with the game finishing 3-0 at The Cherry Red Records Stadium, with everything to play for in the final group game against Brighton U21’s next month.


ORIENT: Sargeant, Judd, Ekpiteta (Sweeney 46’’), Happe, Ogie (Coulson 60’’), Maguire-Drew, Marsh, Gorman, Dayton (Brophy 60’’), Dennis, Alabi

SUBS: Janata, Clay, Wilkinson, Harrold


BOOKED: Ogie 36’’ Gorman 84’’


AFC WIMBLEDON: Trott, Delaney, Thomas, Wagstaff (Stabana 60’’), Pinnock, Folivi, Sanders, Kalambayi, Osew (Guinness-Walker 84’’), Pigott (Forss 60’’), Reilly

 SUBS: Tzanev, McLoughlin, Hartigan, Appiah

GOALS: Pigott 3’’ Folivi 49’’ Reilly 80’’

BOOKED: Reilly 75’’


REFEREE: Charles Breakspear

ATT: 642

Upcoming Fixture:
8th October 2019
videocam volume_up Trophy Trophy
AFC Wimbledon
AFC Wimbledon
3 - 0
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient