Kickoff: 25/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town


access_time 2 years ago

Orient’s unbeaten start to the season came to an end on Wednesday night at the hands of a spirited and well-drilled AFC Wimbledon side. Despite a valiant second half search for an equaliser, the O’s lost out to a solitary goal from Dons forward Helen Ogle at the War Memorial Stadium in Carshalton.

Manager Chris Brayford, made only one change from the side that knocked Abingdon United out of the F.A Cup at the weekend, with Ria Collins coming in for Demi Brown.

The O’s came into this game in exceptional form having won their last five and they almost got off to the perfect start. A moment of hesitation in the Dons defence presented Sophie Le Marchand with an opportunity, however keeper Charlotte Ferguson stood firm and produced a fine save to deny the winger her eighth of the season.

With both sides going into this fixture unbeaten in the league, it was understandable that the opening half an hour was fairly cagey, with both sides looking to get a foot hold in the game.

Just after the half hour mark though, Orient created another opportunity. Lisa Holmback did fantastically to evade her marker and slip Le Marchand in, but the O’s’ vice-captain just couldn’t get a shot away as she was crowded out by a mass of Wimbledon bodies.

Shortly afterwards, the home side took the lead. Rosie Russell delivered a ball into the area, which found Ogle who looped a header into the net to break the deadlock in South London.

Following the half time break, a show of dissent from Wimbledon midfielder Rebecca Sargent, saw her sin binned. However, the O’s failed to make the extra body count and Sargent returned to the pitch after her ten minute exclusion with the Dons still in the lead.

Orient had spent most of the second period in the opposition’s half but had been unable to create anything clear cut, that was until a last ditch tackle from Kelly Highman denied Otesha Charles a near certain equaliser.

A raft of O’s corners were defended stoutly by the home side, as they continued to remain compact and organised to prevent an equaliser.

Substitute Ellie Stenning, found some space in the box late on, but her shot was well smothered by Ferguson in the Dons goal. And that proved to be the final chance of the game as moment’s later referee Matthew Leary, blew time on Orient’s unbeaten run.

It was a frustrating night for Orient, but reflecting on the result skipper Danielle Griffiths was keen to remain upbeat:

“We are obviously disappointed that our unbeaten run has come to an end, particularly given that we had the better of the chances throughout the game. We will take a lot from the defeat; we know we need to start games better and keep that standard for 90 minutes.

We recognise that there is a long way to go in the season and more than enough time to get those points on the board so we are focused on moving on and getting maximum points from our next games.”

Next up for Orient is a home tie in the FA WNL Cup this Sunday against a Portsmouth side from the division above.


Orient: Ogunde, Collins (McCann, 54), Griffiths, Bastyr, Anderson, Trezzi, Ali (Stenning, 76), Barton (Young, 78), Holmback, Le Marchand, Charles

Booked: Trezzi (42)

Wimbledon: Ferguson, Stanley, Wentworth, Russell, Mann, Chambers-Cook, Sargent (McClaren-Johnson, 88), Highman, Berkeley, O’Callaghan (Manzi, 80), Ogle (Heasman, 90)

Booked: Sargent (51)

Goal: Ogle (34)