LOWFC Report: Burgess Hill Town 0-14 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 years ago

The O’s produced a vintage display as they brushed past Burgess Hill Town 14-0 to reach the second round of the Reposs Isthmian Women’s Cup.

The O’s, the current holders of the Cup, were dominant from the get-go and their immediate pressure lead to the first goal in the second minute as Egle Trezzi scored a superb 25-yard strike, putting the visitors ahead.

Straight from the restart Orient were pushing again and some good build-up play led to Hayley Barton putting Otesha Charles through, who calmly doubled the lead.

Early on it was clear that Sophie Le Marchand would have a lot of space down the left-wing, a driving run and then cross drew a handball from a Burgess Hill defender within the box. Le Marchand stepped up to take the penalty and calmly tucked it away.

Minutes later, Le Marchand was troubling the Burgess Hill backline again. Clever play and a deft through ball put Charles through, who tucked away her second before the 20-minute mark in a dominant performance.

The O’s didn’t stop there. A long-range effort from Barton was tipped over nicely by the opposition keeper in the 30th minute.

The next goal would come a few moments later. The ball was won in midfield and played through to Lisa Holmbäck who swept the ball into the bottom corner to give Orient their 5th.

Charles would go on to grab her hat trick and then her fourth goal in the 38th and 39th minutes respectively. The hat trick was secured with a good header at the back post following a corner from the right. The fourth was another tidy finish following a clever through ball from Holmbäck.

The eighth and final goal of the half was added in the 44th minute. Following a corner, Trezzi found herself in space on the edge of the box and swivelled before rifling her second into the bottom corner.

The whistle for half time blew and the O’s went into the dressing room in high spirits. Potent finishing and very well controlled possession was the difference. The Orient backline had also managed to not allow Burgess Hill a single shot on target.

There was one change at the break, with Danielle Griffiths coming on for the injured Demi Brown.

The second half got underway in a similar style to the first. Orient were dominating the space down the wing, allowing both full-backs to play a key part in the game.

The first goal of the half came in the 50th minute. A long ball over the top put Le Marchand through who finished low past the keeper.

Orient’s second sub came after 53 minutes, with Ellie Stenning replacing Otesha Charles.

Stenning made an instant impact off the bench, curling the ball past the keeper, just a minute after coming on.

The third and final substitution saw Pinja Piira come on for Allison McCann.

The game quietened down until the 77th-minute mark when Trezzi secured her hat trick with another fine long-distance strike.

Orient continued to dominate and a flurry of goals from Le Marchand, Barton and Cheryl Anderson wrapped up the convincing 14-0 win in the final 10 minutes.

A dynamic attacking display coupled with a solid defensive showing demonstrated why the O’s must be one of the favourites to go on and win the Cup again.

Orient will hope to back up this fine display on Sunday when they go to the Harlington Sports Ground to play QPR in the Women’s FA Cup.


Orient: Ogunde, Anderson, Bastyr, Brown (Griffiths 46”), Auguste, Trezzi, McCann (Piira 70”), Barton, Holmback, Le Marchand, Charles (Stenning 53”)


Goals: Trezzi (2”, 41”, 75”), Charles (5”, 18”, 35”, 36”), Holmback (30”), Le Marchand (15”, 50”, 82”), Stenning (54”),  Barton (85”), Anderson (88”)