access_time 2 years ago

Goals from Alex Gilliead and Lee Novak ensured Orient fell to a 2-0 defeat against Scunthorpe at the Breyer Group Stadium.

Back in charge as Interim Head Coach, Ross Embleton made two changes from the defeat against Maldon & Tiptree. Joe Widdowson picked up a slight knock in the week which meant Marvin Ekpiteta returned to the back four, while Dean Brill replaced Sam Sargeant in goal. Lee Angol also made his return to the match day squad following a long-term injury.

The away side made a bright start in E10, with a driven cross from Alex Gilliead forcing Josh Coulson to turn the ball over his own crossbar in the third minute. The resulting corner then fell to Gilliead, who rifled one in from the edge of the box to give the Iron an early lead.

A flurry of corners saw Orient gain a foothold in the game and they eventually fashioned their first shot on goal in the 16th minute when Ekpiteta found Louis Dennis, who fired narrowly over from around 25 yards out.

Another chance came moments later when Coulson flicked a ball on towards the back post and Craig Clay saw his shot turned away for a corner by ‘keeper Jake Eastwood.

The O’s continued to get closer and in the 20th minute, after some patient build up play in and around the box, Dan Happe managed to get a shot away which was again stopped by Eastwood.

A low effort from James Brophy stung the palms of the Scunthorpe ‘keeper in the 40th minute, before a last-ditch tackle from Sam Ling denied the Iron a second minutes before the referee blew his whistle for half time.

Orient had the ball in the back of the net moments after the restart. However, the assistant referee cut celebrations short by raising his flag after Matt Harrold had nodded home.

The home side continued to threaten throughout the second half with Dennis being denied by the legs of Eastwood in the 64th minute, after he was slipped through by Brophy.

Shortly afterwards, Embleton made his first change which saw Angol make his much-anticipated return to the field in place of Happe. The second sub came soon after with Dennis making way for James Alabi.

Lee Novak doubled his side’s lead in the 79th minute with a high shot into the roof of the net, putting the visitors in control with just ten minutes remaining.

Alabi almost got the O’s back into it a couple minutes from full time but his strike was well held by Eastwood at his near-post. He came even closer a minute later when he headed just wide from Jordan Maguire-Drew’s free-kick.

That proved to be the final chance of the match as Orient fell to a 2-0 defeat.

ORIENT: Brill, Ling, Ekpiteta, Coulson, Happe (Angol 64”), Maguire-Drew, Clay, Wright, Brophy, Harrold, Dennis (Alabi 73”)

SUBS: Sargeant, Gorman, Marsh, Turley, Ogie

BOOKED: Ling 80”


SCUNTHORPE: Eastwood, Clarke, Ntlhe, Lund, van Veen (McAtee 78”), Perch, Novak, Gilliead, McArdle, McGahey, Eisa (Butler 89”)

SUBS: Watson, Colclough, Dales, Bedeau, Proctor

BOOKED: Gilliead 28”, Perch 45”

GOALS: Gilliead 4”, Novak 79”


REF: Brett Huxtable

ATT: 6,670 (612)