Report: Leyton Orient 2-1 Newport County AFC

access_time 2 years ago

Two late goals from Marvin Ekpiteta and Ruel Sotiriou saw the O’s claim all three points against Newport County at the Breyer Group Stadium.

Jamille Matt pulled one back in stoppage time for the visitors, but Ross Embleton’s side held on for a crucial victory.

Embleton made two changes from the mid-week draw with Northampton Town. Jordan Maguire-Drew and Sotiriou coming in to replace Josh Coulson and Matt Harrold.

The O’s started the game brightly and some lovely interplay in the 13th minute saw Sotiriou slipped down the wing, the young forward then picked out Maguire-Drew whose half-volley went just over.

The positive early spell continued as an out-swinging corner found Ouss Cissé, his hooked effort looked goal bound only for a smart save from Tom King to deny him.

In the 26th minute, Maguire-Drew curled a cross towards goal that almost caught out King, however he did well to claw it over the bar and away for a corner.

Maguire-Drew was involved once again ten minutes later, as he broke away down the left and rifled an effort that the Newport ‘keeper did excellently to turn away.

A head injury to Exiles defender Mark O’Brien caused a lengthy stoppage at the beginning of the second half.

Following the break in play, the visitors began to find their feet in the game, winning a couple of set-pieces that the home side did well to defend.

Orient fashioned their first clear cut chance of the second half in the 76th minute. Maguire-Drew’s corner was met by Marvin Ekpiteta, who headed the ball across goal into the path of Dan Happe, however it was cut out well at the last moment by a Newport defender.

Embleton made his first change of the game shortly afterwards, bringing on Lee Angol for Maguire-Drew.

Five minutes later, Ekpiteta again met an in-swinging corner, this time delivered by James Brophy, and nodded in at the back post to break the deadlock and give the O’s the lead.

Brophy came so close to doubling the lead moments later, when he cut inside and unleashed a low drive that rippled the side-netting.

The second did come a minute from time though. Josh Wright picked up a ball in behind from Angol, before flashing a cross into the box for Sotiriou. The Cypriot met the cross superbly finishing high into the net to double Orient’s lead.

Deep into stoppage time, the O’s made a double change which saw Cissé and Sotiriou make way for Harrold and Hector Kyprianou.

The Exiles pulled one back in the fifth minute of added time. Jamille Matt nodding home from a set piece to set up a nervy final few minutes.

Despite some late pressure, Orient stood firm to see out the game and earn a vitally important three points.


ORIENT: Sargeant, Marsh, Ekpiteta, Happe, Brophy, Clay, Cissé (Kyprianou 90”), Wright, Maguire-Drew (Angol 77”), Sotiriou (Harrold 90”), Wilkinson

SUBS: Vigouroux, Widdowson, Judd, Sweeney

BOOKED: Sotiriou 86”

GOALS: Ekpiteta 81”, Sotiriou 89”


NEWPORT: King, Haynes, Willmott, Demetriou, O’Brien, Bennett, Baker (Amond 81”), Dolan (Nurse 68”), Sheehan, Matt, Abrahams (Green 61”)

SUBS: Townsend, Waters, Howkins

BOOKED: Green 76”

GOALS: Matt 90”


REF: David Rock

ATT: 5,084 (427)