Report: Leyton Orient 1-1 Macclesfield Town

access_time 2 years ago

A late equaliser meant Orient had to settle for just a point against Macclesfield Town on a frustrating afternoon at the Breyer Group Stadium. James Brophy had given the O’s the lead 15 minutes from the end but Jacob Blyth’s strike deep into stoppage time ensured a point a piece for both sides.

Unsurprisingly, following last weekend’s victory over Stevenage, Ross Embleton named an unchanged eleven. The only alteration came on the bench with James Dayton returning to the fold in place of Matt Harrold.

Off the back of that win, the O’s looked to be brimming with confidence and came very close to taking the lead early on. Some neat interplay between Ruel Sotiriou and Conor Wilkinson led to the latter hitting a shot on his weaker foot which Jonathan Mitchell in the Macclesfield goal did well to keep out.

The bright start continued minutes later. Jordan Maguire-Drew twisting inside and out before letting go of a fierce effort that struck Silkmen skipper, Fiacre Kelleher in the face, causing the referee to halt play for a head injury.

Orient continued to dominate the majority of possession but were being restricted to long-range efforts by a dogged Macclesfield backline. Sotiriou and Maguire-Drew both coming close from distance in quick succession.

The deadlock was almost broken a minute before the interval, Wilkinson got a head to Josh Wright’s in-swinging free-kick. Agonizingly though for the forward, his glanced effort fell just wide of the far post, meaning the game remained goalless heading into half time.

Embleton was forced into a change during the break, Dan Happe struggled to shake off a knock he picked up in the first half and was replaced in the centre of defence by Josh Coulson.

The away side had their first real chance of the game five minutes after the break. A ball into the box was met by Arthur Gnahoua whose goal bound effort deflected off his own man and behind for a goal kick.

Just before the hour mark, an Orient corner led to another opportunity, Wilkinson once again met Wright’s in-swinger but just couldn’t keep his header down as the ball sailed over the crossbar.

Immediately after that chance Embleton made his second switch of the game, bringing on January signing Danny Johnson in place of Maguire-Drew.

As the game went on, the visitors began to show more attacking intent and they had another chance in the 63rd minute. Joe Ironside cutting inside and curling an effort towards goal that Lawrence Vigouroux did well to field.

Orient’s third and final change came five minutes later, Wilkinson making way for Lee Angol.

With the clock running down, the O’s upped the tempo in a bid find an opener. That change in emphasis paid dividends in the 75th minute. Craig Clay picked up the ball some 25 yards from goal and precisely slotted in James Brophy, the former Swindon man then showed great composure to find the bottom corner and shatter the deadlock.

Macclesfield manager, Mark Kennedy introduced forward Jacob Blyth late on in search of an equaliser, and the 28-year-old repaid his manager’s faith netting in stoppage time to peg the O’s back.

With the last attack of the game, Orient almost found a dramatic winner. However, Johnson’s effort flashed past the far post forcing Embleton’s side to settle for the point.

ORIENT: Vigouroux, Marsh, Ekpiteta, Happe (Coulson 45”), Brophy, Cissé, Clay, Wright, Maguire-Drew (Johnson 58”), Wilkinson (Angol 68”), Sotiriou

SUBS: Sargeant, Widdowson, Kyprianou, Dayton

BOOKED: Clay 13”

GOALS: Brophy 75”


MACCLESFIELD: Mitchell, Kelleher, Hamblin, Gnahoua, Ironside (Wilson 70”), Kirby (Blyth 83”), Horsfall, O’Keefe, Whitehead, Tracey (Archibald 58”), Fitzpatrick

SUBS: Stephens, Rose, Cameron


GOALS: Blyth 90”


REF: Nicholas Kinseley

ATT: 5,708 (241)

Upcoming Fixture:
8th February 2020
videocam volume_up
English Football League - League Two
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
1 - 1
Macclesfield Town
Macclesfield Town