LOWFC Report: Leyton Orient 2-1 Dulwich Hamlet

access_time 2 years ago

First half goals from Egle Trezzi and Ellie Stenning saw Orient progress to the CCFL Cup Quarter Finals with a 2-1 win over Dulwich Hamlet at the Mile End Stadium.

This was the second meeting between the two sides in four days. A single goal was the difference on Sunday as the Hamlet reached the Capital Cup Semi Finals at Orient’s expense. O’s manager, Chris Brayford, made two changes from that defeat. Pamela McRoberts and Hayley Barton coming in for Lisa Hölmback and Cheryl Anderson.

It was clear from the off that Brayford’s side were keen to right the wrongs of that loss and they got off to the best possible start in E3. Trezzi controlled Jasmine Auguste’s cross into the box expertly and slammed home on the half volley to give the O’s a 7th minute lead.

Shortly afterwards, the home side almost added a second through Ellie Stenning. Orient’s centre forward forcing a smart save from Marie Louis in the Dulwich goal.

Stenning wasn’t to be denied seven minutes later though. Barton cut inside and let go of a shot that Louis again did well to keep out, however the ‘keeper was unable to parry the ball out of danger and Stenning showed a poachers instinct to prod home from close range and double her sides advantage.

The visitors responded well to the setback. Raquel Arran broke away down the right and unleashed a shot that went just wide of Naomi Ogunde’s far post.

Their first efforts on target then came in quick succession. Just after the half hour mark, both Saskia Philp and Rhea Gall had decent shots on goal, though Ogunde was equal to their efforts.

Marvin Dempsey’s side came even closer to pulling one back in the 37th minute, as Philp stuck the woodwork with a shot from just inside the box.

Following the break, Brayford made his first change of the game. Hölmback coming on for Stenning in a switch that saw Sophie Le Marchand move up top.

Chances were at a premium at the beginning of the second period with the O’s seemingly content to protect their two-goal lead. The first real effort on goal following the interval fell to the Hamlet in the 65th minute, first Philp was denied by an excellent save from Ogunde before Arran blazed over from close range.

In a bid to freshen up his side, Brayford swapped out McRoberts for Michelle Young in the 67th minute.

Orient’s first effort of the second 45 came and went, as Barton made a run down the right and found Le Marchand in the box, her shot stung the palms of Louis as she tipped the ball away for a corner.

Dulwich eventually did pull one back with just over ten minutes remaining, Jess Hand poking home from inside the penalty area to set up a nervy ending for the O’s.

Following the goal, Brayford made his final change as Barton departed the field to be replaced by Giorgia Bracelli.

Despite the pressure being notched up by Hands’ goal, Orient navigated the final stages superbly with some savvy game management to reach the Quarter Final of the Combined Counties Cup.

Speaking after the game, Brayford, expressed his admiration at his side’s ability to bounce back so soon after the disappointment of Sundays defeat.

“I am pleased with the way we responded this evening. We were poor in our decision-making and execution in possession on Sunday and tonight was much better which is a credit to the players’ reaction, and their determination to put in the right level of performance to secure the win.”

He was also keen to praise the opposition after two close fought games between the two sides in quick succession.

“Dulwich are a good team: if they do take the LSERWFL title then I am sure they will do well in the WNL.”

The O’s are back in action on Sunday as they take on Stevenage in the WNL at the Mile End Stadium.


Orient: Ogunde, Collins, Griffiths, Bastyr, Auguste, Trezzi, Ali, Barton (Bracelli 83”), Le Marchand, McRoberts (Young 67”), Stenning (Hölmback 55”)

Subs: Anderson

Goals: Trezzi 7”, Stenning 15”


Dulwich: Louis, Rowe, Crofts, Hickman, Williams, Gall (Hand 78”), Stone, Gibson (Bonner 60”), Philp, Wicks, Arran (De Pellegrin 60”)

Subs: Milner, Monkman

Goals: Hand 80”