REPORT: Leyton Orient 6-2 Tottenham Hotspur U23

access_time 1 year ago

The O’s claimed the first ever JE3 Cup, beating Tottenham Hotspur U23’s 6-2 at The Breyer Group Stadium.

Orient raced into a 3-0 lead after 30 minutes thanks to some tidy finishes from James Dayton, Lee Angol and Jordan Maguire-Drew. Spurs pulled the game back to 3-2 before the break, but another three goals in the second half confirmed a comfortable win for Ross Embleton’s men.

Angol grabbed a second after the break, our trialist tapped home a fifth and Danny Johnson hammered home the sixth.

Jobi McAnuff’s quick free-kick found Dayton in acres of space behind the opposition defence, who rounded the ‘keeper and placed the ball over the line with his left boot.

A second goal soon followed and Orient once again capitalised on a high defensive line. Jamie Turley’s 60-yard pass floated to the edge of the box, where Angol took one touch to set himself, before scooping an effort into the net.

Orient had a third half-an-hour into the match. Maguire-Drew dinked the ball over the onrushing Spurs ‘keeper after Sam Sargeant’s kick travelled all the way through to the O’s number ten, who kept his composure to finish from a tight angle.

The visitors closed the gap to one goal before the break, thanks to goals from Dilan Markanday and Elliot Thorpe.

The former’s shot took a nick of an O’s defender on its way past Sargeant, and the latter scored from just eight yards, setting up a tense finish to the first half.

Despite a nervy few moments before the break, Orient regrouped and wasted no time bolstering their lead after the restart.

Ruel Sotiriou tore Tottenham’s defence open with a bullish run forward before assisting Angol, who whacked the ball into the top corner moments before the 60th minute.

Head Coach Embleton made 11 changes* on the hour, giving other members of the squad valuable minutes out on the pitch.  The rejuvenated 11 settled into the game well and continued to attack, like the team before them.

Conor Wilkinson’s free-kick from the edge of the area clattered the crossbar and could well have crossed the line on the way back down, however, the ball bounced back into a penalty area and was tapped home by our trialist.

Wilkinson was involved again for his team’s sixth and final goal. The 25-year-old flicked the ball up for himself to volley the ball down the right-hand channel to Danny Johnson, who cut inside before curling his shot into the bottom corner.

Orient were clinical in front of goal and fully deserved to win their second game of pre-season and claim The JE3 Cup.

Up Next: Northampton Town (A) AUG 21st

ORIENT: Sam Sargeant, Sam Ling, Dan Happe, Jobi McAnuff, Jordan Maguire-Drew, James Dayton, James Brophy, Lee Angol, Ruel Sotiriou, Brendon Shabani

*ORIENT (60’): Lawrence Vigouroux, Joe Widdowson, Ouss Cissè, Josh Coulson, Craig Clay, Conor Wilkinson, Trialist, Shad Ogie, Danny Johnson, Josh Wright

GOALS: Dayton 22’, Maguire-Drew 31’, Angol 27’ & 59’, Trialist 84’, Johnson 89’


SPURS: De Bie, Trialist, Markanday, Marsh, Okedina, Lyons-Foster, Tracey, Thorpe, Sterling, Roles, Georgiou

SUBS: Oluwayemi, Richards, Etete, Pochettino, Bennett, Skinner, Trialist, Muir

GOALS: Markanday 37’, Thorpe 42’