access_time 1 year ago

Dan Happe captained Leyton Orient to victory and qualification to the next stage of The EFL Trophy, as the O’s beat AFC Wimbledon 2-0 at The Breyer Group Stadium.

A penalty from Lee Angol in the first half and a delicious lob from Conor Wilkinson in the second, capped off a brilliant performance.

The visitors started the better of the two teams and threatened to open the scoring from an early corner. A whipped ball travelled over everyone in the middle through to Kalambayi at the back post, but his stinging strike was cleared off the line by the head of Angol.

Angol was involved down the other end but could only nod wide after some great work from Jordan Maguire-Drew out on the right flank.

The O’s number 19 would open the scoring moments after the half-hour mark, converting from the penalty spot after James Brophy had been brought down in the area.

The Dons looked to respond after conceding but failed to test Sam Sargeant before the break, as the half finished with Orient narrowly ahead.

Ross Embleton was forced into an early change immediately in the second half, as Conor Wilkinson replaced goal scorer Lee Angol, who seemed to pull up with an injury problem. The change didn’t hinder the O’s performance though and the League Two side dominated large spells after the restart.

Wimbledon keeper’ Tzanev made a great save to deny Joe Widdowson who had bombed into the opposition box.  Conor Wilkinson was next to go close for Orient, but he was also denied by the Tzanev. The O’s man had looked to have rounded the goalkeeper, but the shot-stopper got back up and denied the forward.

Louis Dennis came on in place of James Brophy on the hour and quickly came close to doubling the Leyton Orient advantage. Maguire-Drew’s cross was deflected towards Dennis in the box, but he could only fire wide with his left boot.

Pressure finally paid for the home side on the 74th minute. Substitute Jayden Sweeney’s curling pass completely wiped out the Wimbledon defence and found Wilkinson, who lobbed the ball over the onrushing ‘keeper and into the net.

The visitors should have pulled one back before the full-time whistle but Rudoni could only fluff an effort wide of the post, meaning Sargeant kept a clean sheet and the O’s progressed comfortably to the next round of the EFL Trophy with a game to spare. 

ORIENT: Sargeant, Judd (Sweeney 71’), Coulson, Happe, Widdowson, Clay, Wright, Dayton, Maguire-Drew, Angol (Wilkinson 52’), Brophy (Dennis 61’)


SUBS: Vigouroux, Ling, Shabani, Kyprianou


GOALS: Angol 33’ Wilkinson 74’




THE DONS: Tzanev, Csoka, Nightingale, Alexander, Hartigan, Roscrow, Chislett, Guiness-Walker, Longman (Robinson 46′) Reilly (Rudoni 46′)


SUBS: Trueman, O’Neill, Oksanen, McLoughin, Pigott





REF: Sam Allison

Upcoming Fixture:
6th October 2020
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
2 - 0
AFC Wimbledon
AFC Wimbledon