Kickoff: 25/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient
Mansfield Town
Mansfield Town

REPORT: Leyton Orient 2 - 3 Woking

access_time 11 months ago

The Leyton Orient under-18s suffered a heart-breaking defeat in the FA Youth Cup, as they exited the First Round following a 3-2 loss to Woking.

Antony Papadopoulos found the back of the net on two occasions prior to the half-time interval, however, Woking equaled the deficit in the second-half and went onto find the winning goal in extra time.

Just minutes following the kick-off, the opening period of play served as a microcosm for the rest of the night. It was a fast, end-to-end tie and it didn’t take long for the first goal to hit the back of the net.

A corner from Jephte Tanga was delightfully floated into the penalty area and was headed home by Papadopoulos, via the under side of the crossbar.

With a First Round FA Youth Cup goal already under his belt, Papadopoulos was eager for a second and converted minutes later. Just outside the area, Orient’s number ten took the ball down on his chest and then rifled a left-footed strike into the top left-hand corner to provide the O’s with a two-goal lead.

However, just prior to half-time, the O’s concede. Following a breakdown in play, Deago Dunbar-Bonnie attempted to play the ball back to the goalkeeper, but his pass was just wide of Jayden St Paul and rolled into the back of the net.

After the teams emerged for the second-half, the O’s had an opportunity to convert their third in the 66th minute.

Bryan Ifeanyi cut inside from the left flank and danced past multiple Woking defenders before being brought down in the area. Captain Matt Young stepped up for the penalty but his effort to the goalkeeper’s right-hand side was palmed away.

With seven minutes left on the clock, Woking got their equaliser. The Cards’ tricky winger got past Dunbar-Bonnie and managed to get a low-driven cross into the box, which was unfortunately turned in by Orient defender Kyrell Palmer.

With a further 30 minutes needed to decide the winner of this First Round tie, Woking found their winner in the sixth minute of extra-time.

With the play predominantly on the right-hand side, the ball was switched out to the opposite winger, who was in space, and converted past St Paul to guarentee Woking a place in the Second Round of the FA Youth Cup.