REPORT: Morecambe 2-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 12 months ago

Mendes Gomes’ second-half strike meant Morecambe claimed all three points, at The Mazuma Stadium.

Danny Johnson finished off a fine move to blast Orient in-front but The Shrimps scored twice in the second-half to win the match.

Ross Embleton made two changes to the side that beat league-leaders, Newport, at The Breyer Group Stadium. Hector Kyprianou and Lee Angol replaced Joe Widdowson and Jobi McAnuff.

Orient crafted an early opportunity thanks to some brilliant link up play between Hector Kyprianou and Conor Wilkinson. The latter wriggled in and out to create space for a shot, but his attempt was blocked by a man in red.

The Cypriot would soon be involved again in the final third – this time his cross into the middle would be volleyed into the back of the net, by the man in form, Danny Johnson.

The goal was well deserved for Orient, who were the better team in the opening 30 minutes,  but it did inspire Morecambe to up their efforts and look to find an equaliser. The hosts had a shout for a penalty waved away by referee Seb Stockbridge.  Cole Stockton took aim from the edge of the area and his strike was blocked by the chest of Ouss Cissè, not his arm.

The Shrimps continued to press late in the half, though Orient stood tall and defended their area well. Dan Happe made a vital block to deny Stockton, who had latched on to a nice flick on the edge of the area. Despite having momentum, Morecambe failed to capitalise and equalise before the break


Half-Time: Morecambe 0-1 Leyton Orient


A moment of magic from Conor Wilkinson was inches away from doubling Orient’s lead just five minutes into the half. The number nine’s looping free-kick from 25-yards rattled the top of Mark Halstead’s crossbar and flew out of play.

Shortly after, Derek Adams’ team found a scrappy equaliser. A corner kick bobbled in and around the six-yard box before being tapped home by Shrimps Captain, Sam Lavelle.

In a bid to freshen things up, Ross Embleton made a double change. Ruel Sotiriou and Jobi McAnuff came on in place of Hector Kyprianou and Lee Angol, with 66 minutes gone.

The home side continued to grow into the game and took the lead in the 73rd minute. Mendes Gomes was found in behind Orient’s backline and he kept his composure to place past Vigouroux and fire his side ahead with 17 minutes to go.

It was a frustrating end to the game for Orient, who just couldn’t seem to threaten Morecambe like they had in the opening third of the game.

Full-time: Morecambe 2-1 Leyton Orient


SHRIMPS: Halstead, Mellor, Lavelle, Davis, Stockton(Leitch-Smith 78’), Wildig, Gomes, O’Sullivan (Kenyon 89’), Phillips, Cooney, Songo’o


BENCH: Turner, Hendrie, Knight-Percival, Diagouraga, McAlinden


GOALS: Lavelle 56’ Mendes Gomes 73’


BOOKED: Lavelle 77’ Songo’o 86’ Leitch-Smith 90’


ORIENT: Vigouroux, Ling, Coulson, Happe, Brophy, Cisse (Dayton 83’), Kyprianou (McAnuff 66’), Clay (Dennis 77’), Angol (Sotiriou 66’), Wilkinson, Johnson


BENCH: Sargeant, Akinola, Wright


GOALS: Johnson 18’


BOOKED: Angol 44’ Clay 68’ Sotiriou 86’ Vigouroux 88’



REF: Seb Stockbridge