access_time 10 months ago

Ouss Cissé’s first goal of the season secured Orient a point against Scunthorpe United at The Breyer Group Stadium. The away side took the lead through Ryan Loft in the 12th minute before Cissé headed in Dan Kemp’s free kick to restore parity.

Interim Manager Jobi McAnuff named an unchanged line-up following the mid-week draw against Stevenage.

The O’s started brightly with some good spells of possession. The first chance came in the 7th minute when Nick Freeman laid the ball off to Tristan Abrahams, the forward then fired a low ball across the face, however it proved just out of the reach of the oncoming attackers.

Despite a decent start, Orient fell behind in the 12th minute. Kevin van Veen lifted a ball into the danger area and Ryan Loft was on hand to bundle in from close range.

McAnuff’s side responded well following that early setback and almost drew level through Dan Kemp. The former West Ham man swung in a corner that had to be tipped onto the crossbar by Iron ‘keeper Mark Howard.

Scunthorpe would have doubled their lead mid-way through the first half were it not for a smart stop from Lawrence Vigouroux, who denied Alex Gilliead at his near post.

Ten minutes before the break, the O’s found their equaliser through Cissé. Kemp was fouled in a wide area and dusted himself down to deliver a precise delivery onto the head of the French midfielder to level things up.

Neil Cox’s side had the first couple of attempts of the second half, both from wide set-pieces, as Jacob Bedeau nodded wide twice in quick succession.

McAnuff made a double change ten minutes into the second half, with goal scorer Cissé and Abrahams replaced by Hector Kyprianou and Danny Johnson.

Iron appeals for a penalty were waved away shortly afterwards. A mix-up between Vigouroux and Sam Ling led to van Veen going down in the box, however referee Benjamin Speedie saw nothing doing.

Scunthorpe could have re-taken the lead twelve minutes from time. Jem Karacan broke away down the right and delivered a cross into Loft, which forced Vigouroux to tip the ball around the post.

Orient were left frustrated in their attempts for a late winner. First, Conor Wilkinson’s free kick was deflected behind by Junior Brown. The resulting corner then fell to Craig Clay who had his strike blocked at point blank range.

Wilkinson was involved again in added time as he flicked the ball into the path of Johnson. Though, the forward was unable to get a shot off before he was crowded out by the visitor’s defence.

That proved to be the last chance of the game with the O’s forced to settle for a second draw in five days at The Breyer Group.


ORIENT: Vigouroux, Ling, Turley, Happe, Brophy, Cissé (Kyprianou 56”), Clay, Wilkinson, Kemp, Freeman, Abrahams (Johnson 56”)

SUBS: Sargeant, Widdowson, Dayton, Akinola, Sweeney

BOOKED: Brophy, Clay, Johnson

GOALS: Cissé 34”


SCUNTHORPE: Howard, Clarke, Bedeau, Gilliead, Loft, van Veen, Brown, Hallam (Spence 39”), Beestin, Karacan, Rowe

SUBS: Watson, Eisa, Green, Hippolyte, Howe, O’Malley

BOOKED: Karacan

GOALS: Loft 12”


REF: Benjamin Speedie