Kickoff: 18/09 15:00
English Football League - League Two
Bristol Rovers
Bristol Rovers
Leyton Orient
Leyton Orient

U18's Report: Leyton Orient 2-1 Gillingham

access_time 1 month ago

A dramatic last-minute from Smith-Kouassi winner saw Orient pick up all three points for the first time this season.

A tight contest between the two teams after an end-to-end game, but a dramatic winner from Smith-Kouassi clinched all three points for the young O’s.

The young O’s played their first home game of the season against a tough Gillingham side, with q goal from Gillingham’s Dempsey, whilst Orient’s came from Clements and Smith-Kouassi.

After a quiet start to the game, Gillingham saw their first shot come after 15 minutes, but saw their effort fall wide of the post hitting the side netting.

After an Orient corner, a promising counterattack for Gillingham saw a positive run from number 11 down the right-hand side. However, his pass across goal fell short behind their striker which could’ve proven threatening to Orient.

Not long after, Orient took the lead after a delightful goal from Antonio Clements.  Starting with a great run from Smith-Kouassi, he found the pass to Clements who shot with his left foot outside the box, seeing his shot hit the underneath of the crossbar.

Minutes later, Gillingham hit straight back at the home side as a dangerous ball from a corner found a flick on from Gale finding the feet of Dempsey – whose calm finish went through the legs of Campbell.

Gillingham were proving to be threatening on the attack, whilst gaining numerous corners creating danger for the O’s.

Soon after, goalscocer Clements nearly doubled his tally, with a shot outside the box with his right foot this time – but winded up just over the bar.


Within minutes of the restart, a shot from 25 yards saw Gillingham’s number 10 hit the post. After regaining the ball in midfield, he opted to take the shot on before unleashing a powerful effort which almost saw them gain the lead.

Orient’s best chance of the half came from a superb ball from Kwatchey on the right hand side with a floating ball to C.Pegrum – with his shot on the volley it saw the keeper pull of a great save, guiding the ball on the crossbar and over.

In the 70th minute Gillingham saw another effort on goal from a side half volley from Carter – but a fine save from Campbell low to his right-hand side denied them a certain goal.

A positive run from Davies saw him brought down on the edge of the box, posing a great opportunity from the free kick – but Charlie Pegrum’s effort from the free kick failed to find the target.

In the latter stages of the game, a positive run from Davies through the middle of the park saw him take on a shot with his left foot causing the keeper to make a save low to his right-hand side.

With virtually the last kick of the game, Smith-Kouassi, an U16 player for The O’s, picked up the ball in the middle of the pitch – driving at the defence he took on a shot with his right foot burying the shot low to the keeper’s right.

That concluded the game in dramatic style, seeing Orient pick up their first three points of the season.


Leyton Orient: Campbell, Kwatchey, Sodje, Ojo, Eaton, Apat(Hadjini 60’), Davies, Clements, Smith-Kouassi Obiero(Harvest 60’), C.Pegrum.

Subs: Cizungu, Hadjini, Staerck, R.Pegrum, Harvest

Goal: 29’ Clements, 90’ Smith-Kouassi

Gillingham: Crump, Moore, Dempsey, Gale, Carter, Giles, Kuhr, Smith, Chambers, Gbone, Sitole

Subs: 17 Humphrey 20 Garrett

Goal: 31’ Dempsey