U18's Report and Gallery: Leyton Orient 4-1 Gillingham

access_time 4 weeks ago

Orient smash four past Gillingham to advance into the next stages of the Youth Alliance Cup.

The O’s took on Gillingham as the visitors looked to hit back after their defeat to the O’s last week, but they fell short once again with Orient supplying a dominant display.

This afternoon, saw the young O’s play their first cup game of the season against a Gillingham side, with goals from Gillingham’s Gbone and two goals from Orient’s Tanga, with one apiece for both Clements and Smith-Kouassi.

An early chance for Gillingham’s McCarthy as he was seen clean through on goal, but a good save from Cizungu denied him.

However, minutes later Gillingham gained the early lead as Gbone looped the ball over Cizungu’s head before tapping the ball into the open net.

After Gillingham’s early goal the two sides started to settle, although both teams struggled to have real dominance on the ball.

Orient moved the ball well in good positions; however, they couldn’t mount a threatening attack.

A nice passage of play saw Charlie Pegrum and Davies link up, with Davies trying his luck from just outside the box. However, his effort failed to hit the target.

A lively run down the right-hand side saw Tanga play the ball to Clements who chest the ball down allowing Charlie Pegrum to take a shot. Although, the effort didn’t cause the keeper any trouble.

Late on in the first-half Orient were applying a lot of pressure on Gillingham’s defence, but they couldn’t get the equaliser.

There were multiple efforts outside the box from Davies, Obiero and Charlie Pegrum to gain the equaliser, but the keeper was equal to it. Which saw The O’s going into the break one goal down.


It was a lively start to the second half, with Tanga bursting down the right-wing after his initial pass was cut out. Fortunately for him the ball bounced back to him, and he tapped the ball into the back of the net.

Minutes later, Orient scored a second and took the lead. Obiero found the ball on the edge of the box before setting up Clements who took his chance beautifully, beating the keeper low to his right.

Orient couldn’t stop scoring, with Tanga again proving to be dangerous. He collected the ball on the right-wing before crossing the ball into the box. An intended cross became an intended goal as a mistake from Gillingham’s keeper saw the ball end up in the back of the net.

Soon after, Orient once again extended the lead through Smith-Kouassi. The ball found its way to Smith-Kouassi who took the ball onto his left foot on the edge of the box on the right-hand side. Wrapping the ball with his left foot, the ball found its way into the back of the net.

With four goals in under 15 minutes the visitors were left stunned and never looked like getting back into the game.

This concluded the game as Orient advance to the next stage of the Youth Alliance Cup.


Leyton Orient:Cizungu, Kwatchey, Sodje, Harvest, Eaton, Apat(46’ Hadjini), Tanga(80’ Agyeman), Clements(80’ Reggie Pegrum), Charlie Pegrum, Obiero(75’ Ojo), Davies(45’ Smith-Kouassi)

Subs: Hadjini, Ojo, Smith-Kouassi, Agyeman, Reggie Pegrum

Goals: 47’ Tanga  49’ Clements  51’ Tanga  56’ Smith-Kouassi

Gillingham: Ceunp, Moore, Dempsey, Kuhr, Carter, Giles, McCarthy, Smith, Gbone, Chambers, Sitole

Subs: Garrett, Britton, De Wild, Woodlife

Goal: 5’ Gbone