Match Report: Barnet XI 1-2 Orient XI

access_time 4 weeks ago

Kenny Jackett’s extended Leyton Orient squad made the short trip to North London to take on National League side Barnet, and offer valuable minutes to players.

The squad saw regular first-teamers Dan Kemp and Ruel Sotiriou handed starts, whilst Antony Papadopolous and Tyrese Omotoye would be keen to impress with Jackett watching on.

Matt Young was the man to make the difference, with a goal in each half steering The O’s to a hard fought 2-1 win, after The Bees had opened the scoring.

The O’s first chance came after good build-up play between Sotiriou and Tanga on the right hand side, with the Barnet defender cutting out Tanga’s attempt to slide past him at the vital moment.

Shortly after, The O’s carved Barnet open, with an intricate lob from Papadopoulos finding Dan Kemp – but his first time half volley over the onrushing keeper was just wide of the mark.

Despite the early dominance, the Bees took the lead after a well worked move opened up space on the edge of the box – before the shot fortunately ended up at the feet of the striker, who converted from close range.

The O’s responded well and almost replied on the half hour mark, as quick feet from Dan Kemp was followed up with a teasing ball into the front post – but Omotoye’s first time strike was into the side netting.

With half-time approaching, Orient had a real chance of an equaliser as Ruel Sotiriou beat the offside call and found himself one on one, however his outside of the boot strike was over the bar.

The persistence finally paid off, with a close range finish from Matt Young, who worked himself into the box whilst in the unfamiliar position of left wing back.

It was quick thinking from Jephte Tanga to play in Dan Kemp after winning a free-kick, with Kemp curling a brilliant low cross into the six yard box, finding Young with the golden touch.

“With Kemp curling a brilliant low cross into the six yard box, finding Young with the golden touch.”

Half-time: Barnet 1-1 Leyton Orient

Barnet started the second half the stronger of the two sides, and looked to force themselves back ahead, but for a smart stop down to Rhys Byrne’s left.

The Bees then came even closer just ten minutes later, when their left sided forward did brilliantly well to control it outside of the box, before sending a drive crashing back off the post.

This bought The O’s to life, and Ruel Sotiriou went close on two occasions to completing the comeback – but the Barnet keeper was equal to his best effort, stopping an improvised backheel on the line.

With more changes for both sides, and the introduction of more Orient academy players, The O’s took a foothold in the game, and found the winner with a wonderfully worked move.

Being found in plenty of space by Dan Kemp on the overlap, Matt Young burst into the box and struck a fantastic left foot finish passed the goalkeeper, with just ten minutes to go.

Barnet had a final roll of the dice with a late free-kick, but Rhys Byrne wasn’t troubled, and The O’s held on to a well earned win.

“Matt Young burst into the box and struck a fantastic left foot finish.”


Leyton Orient: Byrne, Kwatchey, Tanga, Young, Apat (Eaton 45’), Sodje, Obiero (Clements 65’), Papadopoulos (Ojo 75’), Sotiriou (Pegrum 77’), Kemp ©, Omotoye.

Sub unused: Phillips