U18's Report and Gallery: Cambridge United 3-1 Leyton Orient

access_time 3 weeks ago

A strong second half display from Cambridge awards them with all three points

This afternoon saw the O’s play a strong Cambridge team with two goals from Yearn and one goal for Akanbi, whilst Orient’s only goal came from Charlie Pegrum.

The first ten minutes of the game was rather passive from both teams as they were trying to control possession, with no chances or efforts on goal.

Cambridge United were the first to find an effort on goal, but Phillips was there to apply a comfortable save.

The first threatening attack came from Cambridge United, which saw them bearing down on goal, one-on-one with Phillips, but he stood strong and pulled off a fabulous save to keep the game deadlocked.

Not long after, Hajdini was seen to have been fouled in the box, leading the ref to point at the spot kick for a penalty. Charlie Pegrum stood up to take his second penalty of the season with his first one saved at home to Luton. He looked confident at the spot and sent the keeper the wrong way, with a calm finish down the middle of the goal.

Minutes before the end of the first half, Cambridge were posing a threat as they had two opportunities to score, but they were equalled by a strong defence.

HALF TIME: Cambridge United 0-1 Leyton Orient

The second half was underway and both teams were posing a threat early on, noticeably a great chance fell to Charlie Pegrum on the edge of the box with the keeper scrambling. But his effort was wide of the mark which was a massive let off for Cambridge.

Efforts were going back and forth with a good fingertip save from Phillips to deny a Cambridge header after an in-swinging corner.

Minutes later, Orient had a corner taken by Charlie Pegrum that hit the post, with a scramble for the second ball, Hajdini had an effort on goal saved by the keeper, which was followed up by a defensive clearance.

Unfortunately, in the 65th minute, Orient’s Clements picked up an injury leading him to be stretched off, with the injury seemingly not to be too serious. He was later replaced by Reggie Pegrum.

Not long after that, Cambridge won a free kick in a dangerous position which was then converted well from Yearn, who found the bottom right corner.

Pressure seemed to mount for the O’s as a fine save was brought out of Phillips low down to his right to deny their forward again.

However, despite this is Orient were soon broken down as Cambridge found the goal to take them into the lead, as Cambridge’s Barnet drove at the defence and found a pass into Yearn who applied the finish.

The game was running away from Orient as Cambridge found a third goal after a delivery into the box was tapped in by Akanbi.

A few changes were made from Orient to get back into the game, but no real chance was created, and this concluded the game.


Leyton Orient:

Phillips, Kwatchey, Sodje, Ojo(86’ Smith-Kouassi), Hajdini, Eaton, Staerck, Clements(65’ Reggie Pegrum), Nkrumah, Obiero, Charlie Pegrum


Sworder, Reggie Pegrum, Davies, Smith-Kouassi, Avgoustidis


34’ Charlie Pegrum


Cambridge United:

Finch, Sandiford, Hipnen, Lott, Beckett, Chipps, Braithwaite, Njoku, Yearn, Akanbi, Barton


Brumby, Jones, Hoddle, Nzeh, Winterbone


70’ 80’ Yearn, 86’ Akanbi