U18's Match Report and Gallery: Leatherhead FC 1-3 Leyton Orient

access_time 4 weeks ago

The cup run begins!

Last night the O’s put in a dominant 3-1 win in the 1st round of the FA Youth Cup against Leatherhead, which saw a goal from Leatherhead’s striker and Orient’s goals came from Clements, Charlie Pegrum and Smith-Kouassi.

Orient were applying a lot of pressure early on with Charlie Pegrum playing a lovely back heel pass into the feet of Nkrumah, but his shot was deflected wide and out for a corner.

The young O’s dominated the ball early on, but didn’t create a clear chance as of yet. Despite, Orient’s dominance the best chance of the game fell to Leatherhead, as a ball into the box from a corner led to a scramble and a quickly taken shot went over the bar.

Not long after, Leatherhead found the breakthrough in the 30th minute, as a ball from the right wing found its way to their striker at the back post, who headed it back across goal beating Phillips.

The O’s didn’t stop plugging away as they found the equaliser eight minutes later. A great powerful run from Nkrumah driving into the left side found Clements in space. His initial effort was miss kicked but the second effort found the bottom left corner. A quick response after going down by one goal.

This concluded the end of the first half, which saw both teams going into the break deadlocked.

Half time: Leatherhead FC 1-1 Leyton Orient

A great start from Leyton Orient in the second half as the scored within two minutes after the restart. Smith-Kouassi shrugged off his defender before unleashing a powerful shot towards the keeper. Too hot to handle for the keeper, he spilled the ball and Charlie Pegrum was alert to the situation and tapped it in.

Orient were starting to pile on attack after attack as a good turn of pace from Smith-Kouassi saw a ball land to the feet of Clements, but the shot deflected wide. The corner resulting from the deflection saw Apat win the header falling to the feet of Nkrumah, but his shot was denied from close range by the keeper.

Minutes later, a one-on-one saw Smith-Kouassi go around the keeper seeing an opening towards goal his shot was blocked by an onrushing defender. The attack was still alive though as Obeiro had an effort on goal, but his effort was also blocked. Leatherhead were holding onto the game as Orient were trying to find that important third goal.

A scare for Orient, as Leatherhead drove into the box and was supposedly taken down according to the not so happy home fans. The referee didn’t see nothing wrong and waved play on, much to the dissatisfaction of the home fans.

Late on in the second half Smith-Kouassi had a couple of chances, but he couldn’t take them. The most significant one saw Smith-Kouassi clean through one-on-one, but his effort flew over the bar. On another day Orient could’ve been four or five goals up if they took their chances.

Nevertheless, Smith-Kouassi got his goal after Nkrumah absolutely bullied his defender shrugging him off the pitch. He fizzed the ball into the box and a well-placed Smith-Kouassi put the ball into the back of the net. Any thoughts of an upset were gone as Orient dealt the final blow.

This concluded the game which saw a dominant performance from the young O’s despite the early scare. Orient’s next game is a league game at home to Cambridge United on the 13th November.

Full time: Leatherhead 1-3 Leyton Orient


Leyton Orient:

Phillips, Kwatchey, Sodje, Harvest, Apat, Obeiro, Tanga, Clements, Smith-Kouassi, Nkrumah, Charlie Pegrum


Reggie Pegrum, Eaton, Avgoustidis, Davies, Ojo