Match Report: O's top PJT table as Addicks bested

access_time 3 weeks ago

Leyton Orient finished top of their group in the Papa John’s Trophy, winning 1-0 against Charlton Athletic thanks to Paul Smyth’s first strike for the club.

Kenny Jackett opted to make nine changes from Saturday’s 1-0 win over Ebbsfleet United in the FA Cup first round. Shad Ogie and Hector Kyprianou were the players to keep their place in the starting eleven as The O’s boss named seven academy graduates in his starting line-up.

Johnnie Jackson made eight changes to his Addicks side that thrashed National League South side Havant & Waterlooville 4-0 at The Valley on Saturday.

Orient had an early chance to take the lead when Matt Young’s cross almost found the head of Tyrese Omotoye. Addicks keeper Nathan Harness was quick to come out and caught the ball in the air before it could find Omotoye.

Rhys Byrne was then called into action when Mason Burstow was through on goal. Byrne tipped Burstow’s strike onto the bar from close range before Orient’s defence cleared the ball away to keep the score level in the opening ten minutes.

The Orient faithful had to hold their breath for a few moments after Byrne failed to hold onto a deep cross which fell to the feet of Josh Davison, but the referee blew for a foul on the Orient keeper.

Omotoye almost opened the scoring after 26 minutes. The forward did well to beat his man down the right hand side of the pitch before cutting into the box and having a shot from close range which was well saved by Harness.

Straight down the other end, Charlton had a chance to break the deadlock. Davison made a great run into the Orient box but the finish was well wide of goal.

The Addicks were almost through on goal again if it wasn’t for a brave interception from Dan Happe to deny Davison a dangerous one-on-one situation..

The O’s nearly went into the break a goal up when Young’s strike inside the penalty took a deflection towards the Addicks, net but Harness safely caught the ball in what was the last bit of action in the half.

HALF TIME: Leyton Orient 0-0 Charlton Athletic

Orient started the second half on the front foot having been denied the opener within the first few minutes of the half, thanks to a brilliant point-blank save from Harness after Paul Smyth got his head onto Connor Wood’s cross.

Wood was involved again a few moments later when he took on an ambitious volley inside the Charlton box which went over the bar.

The O’s were in again on the hour mark as Paul Smyth beat Harness to a through ball. Smyth poked the ball past Harness and looked destined for goal, only for it to agonisingly hit the post and go out for a goal kick.

After a soft yellow card, Antony Papadopoulos was shown a second yellow card on 66 minutes for what again seemed to be a soft decision. Despite the appeals, The O’s were down to ten men for the last 20 minutes.

Although being a man down Orient still looked for a winner. Ruel Sotiriou shook off his man on the half way line and made an excellent solo run through the Charlton back line before dragging his shot wide of goal.

Paul Smyth then made a solo run of his own, and almost made it into the box before being suffocated off the ball by three Charlton defenders.

The ten men of Orient did find the breakthrough with little over ten minutes left of play. A slip from Ayodeji Elerewe allowed Paul Smyth through on goal with no trouble as he slotted the ball under Harness and into the back of the net, before backflipping his way over to the jubilant home crowd.

Orient dug in for the final ten minutes and saw out the win which keeps the 100% record in the competition, and also means The O’s finish top of the group and secure a home tie in the next round of the competition.

League action returns this Saturday as Orient prepare for a trip to Rochdale and look to make it three wins in a week.


Leyton Orient: Byrne, Wood, Happe, Smyth (Kemp 85’), Mitchell, Omotoye (Nkrumah 90’), Sotiriou, Young, Papadopoulos, Ogie (Thompson 71’), Kyprianou

Unused substitutes: Sargeant, Clay, Sweeney, Tanga

Goals: Smyth 78′

Bookings: Papadopoulos 58’, (S/O 66’), Sotiriou 90+4′

Charlton Athletic: Harness, Morgan, Souare, Davison (Aouachria 45’), Dempsey, Clayden, Henry, Chin (Viggars 76’), Bakrin, Burstow (Powell 70’), Elerewe

Unused substitutes: Harvey, O’Connor, Gavin, Ness

Bookings: Chin 45’