Match report: Stoke City 2-0 Leyton Orient

access_time 2 weeks ago

A goal in each half saw Leyton Orient exit the Emirates FA Cup, but the game was far from the comfortable affair the scoreline suggests for the Potters.

It was a goal towards the end of the first half for Tom Ince, and a late strike from Tyrese Campbell that secured the win for Stoke.

The O’s had plenty of chances to stake a claim in the tie, Aaron Drinan and Ruel Sotiriou perhaps with the best chances, but it wasn’t to be.

The game saw Paul Smyth handed a chance in the role behind the two strikers, having suffered another frustrating layoff following his return to the side at Scunthorpe United.

Theo Archibald was an absentee, having picked up an injury that should keep him sidelined for a couple of weeks, whilst Alex Mitchell and Omar Beckles returned to the defence alongside Shad Ogie

And the game started brightly for Orient, after winning back possession in midfield, Beckles’ clipped ball found Aaron Drinan beating the high defensive line.

He remained composed to bring his strike partner into play, but Harry Smith’s strike from distance was curled over the bar.

Whilst Stoke grew into it, Ince with a header over the bar, it was Orient who had the best chance to open the scoring through Aaron Drinan.

A set-piece was whipped goalwards, with a defensive header falling kindly into his path – but, unmarked, Drinan’s header whistled beyond the post, from just a matter of yards away.

The game remained tightly poised, Stoke thinking they had taken the lead when Doughty was in place to head home a rebound, but the flag on the nearside was up for offside.

Next, was Orient’s chance to threaten – Smyth doing brilliantly to lose his man and hang up a teasing back post header for Smith.

Harry Smith duly obliged, and sent it heading into the top corner, but Bonham anticipated it well, and was able to tip it behind.

The deadlock was broken just before the half though, in devastating fashion which showed Stoke’s class.

A ball over the top from Chester to Doughty was controlled brilliantly, and fizzed into the box for the arriving Ince, who rattled home the opener superbly, off of the underside of the bar.

Half-time: Stoke City 1-0 Leyton Orient

The second half continued in much the same vein, Orient having to be compact, but looking threatening when the opportunities came.

Smyth, returning to the XI, was at the heart of it all, receiving the ball on the half-turn, and sliding the ball through to his teammates.

Drinan was the recipient of one of these, however he miscued his effort, and fired wide.

Shortly after, James Chester had the chance to double the lead with a header from Sam Clucas’ corner – but nodded it the wrong side of the post.

Back in possession, Orient looked to find the leveller, and thought they had an ideal chance with a penalty, when Wood’s cross was blocked by the arm of Duhaney – however the referee did not deem it to be a penalty.

A couple of changes saw Young and Sotiriou enter the fray, with Orient looking for that important goal.

It almost arrived at the door of an unlikely source; Alex Mitchell heading goalwards from a set-piece, but the power was never enough to beat Bonham.

The momentum continued in the O’s favour, and the important moment very nearly came for Ruel Sotiriou.

Smyth had improvised a lobbed pass over the defence which saw Sotiriou one-on-one inside the box, but the bounce of the ball perhaps giving him too much time to think.

Sotiriou looked to softly lift the ball over the keeper, and missed what proved to be the last meaningful chance for the O’s.

This was then punished by the hosts, as Tyrese Campbell was played through on goal – making no mistake, finishing brilliantly past Vigouroux.

The game ended, and whilst there was frustration not to have taken something more substantial from the game, the brilliant travelling support applauded a performance worthy of their excellent backing.


Stoke City: Bonham, Fox, Allen, Chester, Clucas (Vrancic 70’), Doughty (Tymon 71’), Wilmot, Brown (Campbell 75’), Duhaney, Ince, Wright-Phillips (Tezgel 84’).

Subs unused: Davies, Smith, Batth, Surridge, Sparrow.

Goals: Ince 42’, Campbell 89’

Vigouroux, Wood, Smyth, Clay (Young 65’), Smith, Mitchell, Drinan (Sotiriou 72’), Pratley (C), Beckles, Ogie, Kyprianou.

Subs unused: Byrne, Happe, Thompson, Kemp, Young, Papadopoulos, Sweeney, Nkrumah.

Yellows: Mitchell 72’

Attendence: 5269 (940)