Skip to main content Skip to site footer
Match Reports

U18 REPORT: Gillingham 4-1 Leyton Orient

Own Goal proves to only be a consolation for the O’s

2 October 2018

Orient youngsters fell to a heavy 4-1 defeat away at Gillingham on Saturday afternoon.

Leyton Orient fell to a heavy defeat last weekend at the hands of Gillingham. The O’s travelled looking to pick up points, however a disastrous opening 7 minutes saw Orient fall two goals behind, giving them a mountain to climb.

Orient made chances throughout the game, but the hosts had a clinical touch; and at times luck, making it difficult for the East Londoners to mount a comeback.

The Gills were fortunate with their two opening goals. First, a cross into the box was volleyed and blocked but fell on a plate for another blue shirt to volley into an empty net after Goalkeeper Sean Campell had committed to saving the first strike.

The second goal soon followed, Orient did well to clear a dangerous corner, but the ball scattered out wide and was whipped back in by a midfielder. A tame shot from close range was deflected out of the path of Campell and crept into the bottom corner of the net.

Hector Kyrpianiou nearly pulled a goal back for the O’s, latching onto a loose ball, the man in red rounded the Keeper; however his effort was cleared behind for a corner. Lawrence Hammond also had a chance to score from the resulting set-piece, but headed wide from Charles Clayden's kick.

The third goal came right on the half an hour mark, a whipped cross was met by a Gillingham defender who neatly flicked home with the outside of his boot after staying in the Orient box, following a set piece.

The second half saw Orient improve on their earlier 45 minutes. Charles Clayden forced a save from the Gill’s Keeper after whipping a free-kick towards the bottom corner.

Before Jaedon Phillips latched onto a loose ball and evaded the keeper, but with the angle against the forward, the stopper managed to get back and make the save.

Orient finally got their goal midway through the second half after Lawrence Hammond stormed the right flank and whipped a dangerous ball towards the penalty area. The cross was destined for Phillips, but a Gillingham man turned the ball into his own net in an attempt to cut out the danger.

The host's final goal came from the spot.  Wynford Marfo brought down his man with only two minutes left to play. The forward got up to his feet and drilled the ball straight down the middle, and the game finished 4-1.

The U18’s will look to gain some points when they host Luton Town at Whitbreads Sports Ground on the 6th of October. After being in FA Youth Cup action on Tuesday night.


ORIENT: Sean Campell, Kyrille Palmer (Anthony Papadopoulous 78), Diego Bonnie (Sonny Perkins 70), Wynford Marfo, Brendon Shabani Hector Kyrpianou, Ernold Haxhiu, Charles Clayden, Lawrence Hammond, Jaedon Phillips, Bradley McClenaghan (Jordon Adeyemi 75)

SUBS: Brian Ifani

Goals: OG

Advertisement block